When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oxalic Acid

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
BAR KEEPERS FRIEND ... Google it ... Wikipedia it ... get the link to the home page ... active ingredient ..... oxalic acid.

Dave, No problem... I've taken many pictures of before "the bath".

I mixed in 4 teaspoons of the white crystals into 1 full gallon jug of warm water. I put some smaller parts in a bucket and dumped the solution in the bucket at 7:00PM tonight. I'm going to let it soak over night and give them a look in the morning.

Last edited:
My 2cents

Hey,

I've started to use "Wood bleach" with some reserve. Afterwards, I have become a fan. I'll try to answer from what I've found.

1. How long after mixing the acid with water will it still work? ie. If I mix some today and soak some parts overnight... Can I soak more parts next week if I keep the liquid solution in a properly sealed container? Does it lose it's effectiveness and if so, How soon?

I have a batch of the mix that has been sitting in a plastic tub for over a month. it is still working but not 100% of what it did originally. Probably around 60%. Biggest problem is when you use the solution the remnants of the rust removal build up on the bottom of the tub. Kind of like a yellow slime. My expirence has been that If something sits directly on the bottom in the "sludge" it will mar or remove some of the finish. Just something to be careful of.

2. My container says nothing about the amount to mix with water for removing rust from chrome/metal... Is this something all of you have "experimented" with and come up with your own conclusions?
I know all acids will effect plating eventually. I just don't want to make the solution too strong and eat the chrome off before the rust!.. OR too weak to be non-effective.

I have been using 1 1/2 tablespoons in one gallon of water. Works just great. Chrome....paint....old tools....anything.

3. Painted parts.... Does it remove paint? I assume it will remove decals but what about painted on striping and darting like that which is on fenders and frames?

I have used it on a set of fenders from a old crusty rusty Shelby.....Took off all the rust and left what was left of the paint. All pinstriping (that was there) still stayed. But....after I remove anything from the bath I wash it with soapy water...I use a nylon brush to scrub all parts. I use a little wd40 on everything and if needed I get some 000steel wool and clean up anything left.. Then ,When I got time, I just clean and use a bit of liquid wax and I'm finished. Decals....I don't know. Never used it on anything that had one.

I have had my hands in the solution(not for long but they were in there fishing around for parts) and all I did was wash them with soap and water. Never had any issues except a little dryness. Not saying you should soak yourself in it but I'm just letting you know what I did.

Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom!

I have been soaking some parts in a pretty strong solution for most of the day. I soaked some parts over night in a solution 4 TEAspoons to a gallon. This morning I took them out, gave them a good scrub and a once over with a brass bristle brush and decided to put them back in... I doubled the amount of crystals by adding 4 more teaspoons full to the mixture for a total of 8 to the gallon

The parts have been in since about 10AM and will be in until I get home tomorrow around 6:00 PM... Hopefully the plating will not be effected.

I did notice that the mixture did start to get down in all the little nooks and crannies that are not very accessible by wire brushing.

I've also noticed the "yellow slime" you speak of... Is this stuff rust goop or just crystals that have settled to the bottom? I will carefully pour the liquid into the jug using a funnel and not get any of the "yellow slime" in, if it is no good.

Another thing I noticed on part of a springer fork I submerged... I wanted to see if it damaged paint. Well, It didn't damage the original paint, did remove the rust... BUT flash rusting happened almost immediately! Almost to the point where it seemed like I should have rinsed the part in a vat of WD40 instead of water!! This particular part doesn't matter much because it will be getting media blasted, but for other parts that I want to retain original paint yet remove rust... ??? More experimentation coming!! Maybe a quick rinse followed immediately by a spray down with WD?

Can some of you guys share your ideas on "vats" or soaking tubs for some of the larger things... like frames, fenders, and rims.. I saw one guy used plastic sheeting and built a makeshift fluid holding unit out of the sheeting. I was thinking maybe a kiddie pool or something like that?

Deck Cleaner

I tried the powder but found ZEP Deck cleaner available at Home Depot works better. Cheaper too. 1 Gallon aroud $8 can be mixed with 15 Gallons of water in a large tub. Soak chrome parts overnight and painted parts a few hours and they all come out looking really good.

barkeepers freind

i have used this product but a bit abrasive though for paint i use it religously for vintage porcelain signs it works awesome but for rusted painted surfaces i use 4 ot (0000 ) steel wool soaked with mcguires cleaner wax and old fashion sos pads for chrome sufaces ......

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND ... Google it ... Wikipedia it ... get the link to the home page ... active ingredient ..... oxalic acid.

I tried the powder but found ZEP Deck cleaner available at Home Depot works better. Cheaper too. 1 Gallon aroud $8 can be mixed with 15 Gallons of water in a large tub. Soak chrome parts overnight and painted parts a few hours and they all come out looking really good.

Nice simple concise answer. Doesn't sound intimidating at all. Thank you!!!!!

Last nights experiment

Hey,

After posting last night I went to the garage and stuck this old wheel, I think it was off a Thunderjet or a Meteor flight, into the Oxalic acid solution. The tub I have had some parts soaking in it so all I did was dip the part of the rim that would fit into the old mixture. This stuff was made about 5 weeks ago and has had a bunch of things soaked in it. The rim was in it for about 11/12 hours. All I did today was take it out and wash off the solution.

RqmZAl.jpg
lY1SEl.jpg

Now I have to finish cleaning it. If i keep dipping and turning it will take me until next week...guess I got to get a bigger vat. :)

You can find some really inexpensive suppliers of Oxalic acid online or on ebay. I haven't tried any of the other suggestions,Yet, but I am happy with this stuff.

Have Fun
Tom

WOW!!!!! That's really impressive. What will you be using as a rust inhibitor? I usually just use a paste wax after I've cleaned up chrome (the hard way). Do you use something other than wax?

Back