When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 schwinn cruiser 5

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
they are more like moto x bars then bmx bars. It looks original.....you know what you can get for one of these in good shape? thanks.

79 Klunker 5 all original except chainguard, and shifter moved to handlebars. I ride it a lot, I love it. Real S2 wheels, balloon frame, rear drum brake with 5 speed, the bags are Schwinn Folders, the basket Wald. kickstand was welded on with bird poop. came right off, you can hardly see any signs of welds. Its got an aluminum stand on it now, so I don't have to repaint it

79Klunker-1.jpg

I sold this minty 81 model with an 80 serial number for $375 about 4 or 5 years ago. Should have held out for $500 or more.

Attachments

• 000_0087 (Large).JPG
    000_0087 (Large).JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 3,066
Klunkers were only built for 6 months in 1978

I have one.
1978 Schwinn Klunker 5 A.jpg
1978 Schwinn Klunker 5.jpg

The company briefly (1978–1979) produced a bicycle styled after the California mountain bikes, the Klunker 5. Using the standard electro-forged cantilever frame, and fitted with five-speed derailleur gears and knobby tires, the Klunker 5 was never heavily marketed, and was not even listed in the Schwinn product catalog. Unlike its progenitors, the Klunker proved incapable of withstanding hard off-road use, and after an unsuccessful attempt to reintroduce the model as the Spitfire 5, it was dropped from production.

Last edited:
last guy kept it. I have a nice chrome chainguard on it now I am gonna buy the stickers still have the diamond studs here somewhere

I have one. View attachment 90997 View attachment 90998

The company briefly (1978–1979) produced a bicycle styled after the California mountain bikes, the Klunker 5. Using the standard electro-forged cantilever frame, and fitted with five-speed derailleur gears and knobby tires, the Klunker 5 was never heavily marketed, and was not even listed in the Schwinn product catalog. Unlike its progenitors, the Klunker proved incapable of withstanding hard off-road use, and after an unsuccessful attempt to reintroduce the model as the Spitfire 5, it was dropped from production.

Where did that info come from? First came the Cali Cruiser and the Cruiser 5 speed models were produced well into the 80's with plenty of downgrades. The Cali and Klunker names were dropped due to trademark infringement but the bike continued to be produced.

I have a blue mint one, then I have a black one I bought for 15 bucks from a thrift shop,,the black one I have been riding for 2 years and I ride it all winter here in Michigan.

Attachments

• cruiser 001.jpg
    cruiser 001.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 1,063
Back