When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins serial number -- can I find manufacture date?

-
J.C. Higgins bicycle

I just bought what is believed to be a late 40's or early 50's bike. Men's bike, and the numbers I got off the bottom bracket:

MOD or HOD 502284

Any idea what year the bike really is?

Thanks!

It always helps us if you post pictures with your query, most times the serial number will tell a fair bit about the bike, but its still better to visualize what you have :)

MOH/HOD would stand for Murray or Huffman of Dayton or something like that. From what I understand the earliest of the JC Higgins came out in the early 50s or so

I just bought what is believed to be a late 40's or early 50's bike. Men's bike, and the numbers I got off the bottom bracket:

MOD or HOD 502284

Any idea what year the bike really is?

Thanks!

It's definitely 'MOD 502', this was a code used by Murray on bikes built for Sears. Chances are, 284 is the actual model #, as opposed to the catalog #, which is usually in the 4500-4700 range. While the catalog #'s can be dated to actual catalog pages, the model numbers aren't, at least to us. You probably can look it up on the Sears parts site, but it usually won't mention a year. Pics are the only way to get a general idea of when it was made, they used the JCH name on bikes from 1947-63.

I restored this JC Higgins which I am guessing by provenance is mid '60s. The serial number on the non-drive dropout is 502 45161 515257. It had no fenders or other accessories, just curious as to age an model.

100_1611.jpg
100_1615.jpg
100_1620.jpg
100_1622.jpg

Last edited:
My 47 Higgins has no "sears" number, just a Westfield serial number, looks like a Columbia frame with cheaper dropouts. I understand all post war Sears were Higgins, but some were actually Elgin leftovers from prewar production. Or so from Rumor Control.

Jc Higgins badge numbers

I've had my grandpa's JcHiggins bike for quite awhile but haven't got around to restoring it yet. It has a tag and not stamped # on the bottom of the crank housing. 505 272 is in the space for the model, AOSO 7117 seems to be the serial number. It's got a double tube ladies frame, springs on the bottom of the seat, a tail board over the back wheel. Kind of cool but mostly a memento. thx

I've had my grandpa's JcHiggins bike for quite awhile but haven't got around to restoring it yet. It has a tag and not stamped # on the bottom of the crank housing. 505 272 is in the space for the model, AOSO 7117 seems to be the serial number. It's got a double tube ladies frame, springs on the bottom of the seat, a tail board over the back wheel. Kind of cool but mostly a memento. thx

Sounds like a Monark built JCH. The serial is probably 507117, which indicates 1948.

Back