When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'57 Lenton Grand Prix project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
theres one of these up for sale next week at the Copake Auction I may try to pick it up after seeing your build
http://copakeauction.hibid.com/lot/30823345/raleigh-lenton-grand-prix-bicycle/?q=Raleigh&ref=catalog
that's a beauty, '58 or '59 - the Weinmann brakes are not original - it would have had GB brakes, but everything else is correct on the bike.
The only thing "correct:" on my bike is the stem and saddle, to keep all in perspective.
Again, it's a beauty to find one in that condition.
The thing that's curious about '57 is it seems to be the last year they blued frames before painting them, essentially making them rustproof. I found a good photoset of another '57 online, also silver, and also turned platinum gray from the bluing.

The bike you found with no rust is exceptional.

Last edited:
An unrestored, original '59 marque III model was recently featured in the V-CC club news.
All original, other than the saddle.
Nice job on yours, looking good, lovely detailed work.

WP_20170416_22_59_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20170416_23_01_00_Pro.jpg

Copake is a screwy auction they have a Raleigh International they estimate to sell for $100 to $150 which I see going for under a grand the Lenton Grand prix could sell for what they predict if not more due to its condition. I am on the fence on the bike but I could be a buyer if the biding starts off low and slow.

My buddy Lou's bike is a 1960 and it has a Cyclo shifted FD, with double braze-on shifters.
aKIMG0019.jpg

aKIMG0028.jpg

His also has 5 rear cogs instead of 4 like the auction bike.
aKIMG0027.jpg

aKIMG0021.jpg

aKIMG0029.jpg

Also, his frame was definitely not blued under the paint - everywhere his paint is chipped, there's a touch of rust.

wow looks fast just setting still.
I think the Simplex chainguard gives it the Winged Mercury look
winged%20mercury.jpg

the bike is fast, handles great, comfortable, and a great climber - I'm going to have to come up with a plan to improve the brakes.
Sam, hoping to be at Frankenbike early Sat morning - will probably leave by the noon race.

Last edited:
Back