When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fastback chainguard question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

2psps

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello. I recently picked up a 67 sky blue fastback. The chainguard it came with has a grey painted background and blue printed letters. The chain guards I've seen on other sky blue fastbacks are blue with white printed letters. Is this the original chain guard for my bike? Has it been repainted? Any info would be helpful

IMG_2042.JPG

Thank you

Looks like an original where the blue has faded away exposing the silver base coat. The white screening protected the blue paint until white faded away. I've seen quite a few bikes where the candy color has almost completely vanished leaving just the silver base.

Schwinn did not paint a silver base coat on the chainguard. The blue was painted directly on the chrome and then screened white letters. This is not original to the 67 Fastback.

Any idea what year a silver and blue color scheme was used on fastback chain guards or is it most likely a repaint?

I beg to differ. Schwinn did use a silver base with the candy colors on the chrome chain guards. Ever try shooting the candy over chrome? I have, and the final outcome is way different than the frame color. So nobody has ever lightly sanded the guard paint to verify their theory of no silver base? I have, and I'll do another test and post the pics in a bit.

SILVER BASE UNDER CANDY COLORS ON CHROME CHAIN GUARDS

As I said, Schwinn did use a silver base paint on chrome chain guards. This is a 1961 Radiant Blue guard.

Silver on chain guard 004.JPG
Silver on chain guard 003.JPG
Silver on chain guard 002.JPG
Silver on chain guard 001.JPG

Another way to prove there is silver base on the guards is to use a sharpass razor blade and scrap the paint off the guard. Look at the underside of the paint chips.

The OP's guard is original.

Thanks for the reply GTs58.

Im not too sure if this would be a base to another color. The reason being is that if it was a base then it would be a base to sky blue paint. The problem with that is the lettering on my chainguard is blue. Which wouldnt make sense to have blue lettering over a blue paint job. The lettering seems to be screened on, its definitely not a decal.

My thoughts were that it was originally painted grey and screened with blue lettering. The problem with that theory is that i cant find a photo of another fastback with that color combo on the chain guard.

I beg to differ. Schwinn did use a silver base with the candy colors on the chrome chain guards. Ever try shooting the candy over chrome? I have, and the final outcome is way different than the frame color. So nobody has ever lightly sanded the guard paint to verify their theory of no silver base? I have, and I'll do another test and post the pics in a bit.

I think you might be right on this one. I just took a look at my bike and the silver under the knicks and chips throughout the blue paint job look like the same silver color thats on the chain guard. I found this 69 on eBay that also looks to have a silver painted chain guard with blue lettering like mine. Im guessing the chain guard had to be painted silver if the lettering is blue. The lettering on all the blue chain guards seems to be white.

$_3.jpg

Back