When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fastback chainguard question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for the reply GTs58.

Im not too sure if this would be a base to another color. The reason being is that if it was a base then it would be a base to sky blue paint. The problem with that is the lettering on my chainguard is blue. Which wouldnt make sense to have blue lettering over a blue paint job. The lettering seems to be screened on, its definitely not a decal.

My thoughts were that it was originally painted grey and screened with blue lettering. The problem with that theory is that i cant find a photo of another fastback with that color combo on the chain guard.
Looks like an original where the blue has faded away exposing the silver base coat. The white screening protected the blue paint until white faded away. I've seen quite a few bikes where the candy color has almost completely vanished leaving just the silver base.

That can definitely be the case mike. If so the white screening did a hell of a job protecting the blue under the lettering. The chainguard has a few tiny blue spots the rest of the blue seems to be completely gone.
20170420_004907.jpg

20170420_004941.jpg

20170420_005213.jpg

I sure hope the myth of no silver base paint on the chrome chain guards is put to rest. I have a 1963 Flamboyant Red Corvette parts bike where the red paint was somewhat faded on the guard exposing lots of silver base and the white screening was gone but the name Corvette was still there, but in red. Paint fading like this is an old issue that started with the Opal paint on the 1954 Jaguars.

It may have happened on later Stingrays but I am 100% positive that in 1967 the chain guard did not have any silver behind the blue paint.

It may have happened on later Stingrays but I am 100% positive that in 1967 the chain guard did not have any silver behind the blue paint.

Then how do you explain the OP's 67 guard with the silver base and this 1969 on eBay? And saying it's not original will not be an acceptable explanation. The only way to make a translucent paint the same finished color is to paint over the same base coat. There is no way, not even a slight chance of a candy paint directly over chrome matching the same candy paint shot over a silver base. When paint chips or scratches occur on the chrome it usually takes the silver base with it since paint does not adhere well to plated surfaces while the base and candy paint is bonded. I highly doubt Schwinn ever shot a candy directly over chrome, but I've never owned a Schwinn model later than 1981 to be completely positive or verify what they did later than that.

This same topic was discussed about 7-8 years ago on the Schwinnbikeforum and a few said the candy was shot directly over the chrome. They were proven wrong. I would like to see some valid proof where Schwinn did not use a silver base under the candy on the chrome guards.

s-l1600.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=182535609656

O C'mon,Look@ the chainguard where it was screened and look @ the pics where the blue paint was sanded down? You cant see how the screening protected the blue top coat? Really? You cant see silver base under the blue on that chainguard? Hey,We're all smart here, lets not be too smart by 1/2. I learned long long ago that I can still learn some things. Maybe you never noticed the base on your chainguards during stripping? Maybe? Maybe your pros didnt either? Why would you notice when the task is to strip to the chrome?

BTW,Not trying to pick a fight,I think you have some sweet bikes,I'd like to have a violet and black myself and I'm too big for them. I have a Sky Blue '67 with some scratches on the chainguard. I see silver there,I'll take a pic if someone wants to see it.

Back