When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early style black muscle bike, huffy?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Artweld

Finally riding a big boys bike
Found this frame with the rear wheel and tire, the frame is slightly different then other frames that I have such as 1/2" wider near the upper brake fender mounting area and has a plate instead of the round tubing, also looks almost identical to the the mid 60s to late 60s frame but has a slightly different angle when it's put up next to the others, has a 36 hole rb2 hub with the older drop center rim that has that line along the edge with an almost disappearing edge, front chain guard mount in the hole in the bottom bracket, any ideas on the make. My plan is build a penguin style bike would this make a good candidate frame, thanks
20170408_182618.jpg
20170408_182732.jpg
20170408_182746.jpg
20170502_071535.jpg

Looks like a Huffy frame. What is the serial number on the left rear drop out. Cool Project for a Penguin.

Looks like a Huffy frame. What is the serial number on the left rear drop out. Cool Project for a Penguin.
I am hoping it's a huffy frame, didn't see a serial number anywhere on the frame will have to check again I do have a drop center 28 hole front wheel, my research says a 42 tooth sprocket Wald, but I don't think that size works with the penguin style chain guard that I have unless they make a bigger guard same style? a 36 tooth seems right for it, more research on the guard area I guess, any clue, thanks

I am not sure on the sprocket. I am sure it is the smaller one. I built one of the Penguin bikes but with different wheels. If you clean the paint off the rear drop out there should be a number there. The guard you have is correct for it.

I am not sure on the sprocket. I am sure it is the smaller one. I built one of the Penguin bikes but with different wheels. If you clean the paint off the rear drop out there should be a number there. The guard you have is correct for it.
Thanks for your input, the smaller sprocket works better, I'll check that site that stated it takes a 42 tooth sprocket, may have been something John brain wrote, i may be wrong but will look into it, the only way I see a 42 working on it is if the front bracket was longer to clear the larger sprocket but then that may throw off the rear angle of the guard.

yup serial number was under the paint rear drop out black frame 2R017356, gold frame B/Bracket W367289, green frame B/Bracket W200557, I'm thinking the black may be the oldest frame? It's definitely different as you can see in the pics
20170506_154057.jpg
20170506_154201.jpg
20170506_154313.jpg
20170506_154418.jpg
20170506_154733.jpg

The black Frame I believe is a 62. The R is throwing me off. They used W and C in the serial numbers as far as I know. Have to do some more checking on it.

Did Huffy make any bikes for a brand that starts with (R) from 1972? I know Huffy frames usually have an H prefix, Sears have S and Western Flyers have W from what I've seen. It looks like a huffy, but I don't think the short frame bikes before 1964 or 1965 would have the crimps in the frame behind the kickstand because I think they were made for the early slicks abu that time. I'll check my 1964 Dragster frame and my 50' western flyer frame to see what they have on the dropouts for crimps. Cool mystery.

Back