When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-Star Jet Rider refurbish

-

Polish the chrome or leave alone?

• Make it really shiny

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Thats original factory patina...leave it be!

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

MrColumbia

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Now that I'm done on all the military bike projects that I had it's time to work on the Jet Rider I was given last month. Here are before pictures. I do not intend restoration but would appreciate input on how far to take the refurb. My primary goal is getting it in top mechanical condition but cosmetically how far would you take it?

There was rust in places like on the fenders and the previous/original owner had used silver paint in creative ways to cover it up as can be seen on the rear fender. This was done decades ago. Leave it as is?

Another issue is the fender light that is gutted. Rebuild or leave the way it is? I have a repop light that I could take the inners and lens from to rebuild it.

Polish chrome or leave a bit crusty? Same with paint that is in remarkable condition.

side view.JPG

Badge view.JPG

Jet Rider.JPG

Rear fender.JPG

Mast decal.JPG

Tire.JPG

Tail light.JPG

Drum front hub.JPG

Rear hub.JPG

Boy, I would be up in the air on this one, it seems like the paint and chrome would clean up really nice with little to no drastic measures, and look killer. But, it also has that appeal of well loved bike that stood the test of time. Either way you choose to proceed with it I don't think you can lose! Joe

Now that I'm done on all the military bike projects that I had it's time to work on the Jet Rider I was given last month. Here are before pictures. I do not intend restoration but would appreciate input on how far to take the refurb. My primary goal is getting it in top mechanical condition but cosmetically how far would you take it?

There was rust in places like on the fenders and the previous/original owner had used silver paint in creative ways to cover it up as can be seen on the rear fender. This was done decades ago. Leave it as is?

Another issue is the fender light that is gutted. Rebuild or leave the way it is? I have a repop light that I could take the inners and lens from to rebuild it.

Polish chrome or leave a bit crusty? Same with paint that is in remarkable condition.

View attachment 478101
View attachment 478102
View attachment 478103
View attachment 478104
View attachment 478105
View attachment 478106
View attachment 478107
View attachment 478108
View attachment 478109
Nice ride dude!

The work on this bike begins. The inside of the tank is in remarkable condition. Besides servicing the mechanics I'm going to start with a light cleaning of the painted parts and see how it goes.
On stand.JPG

Tank off.JPG

Now on to cleaning parts. I like to do the wheels/hubs in a different process in order to keep parts from getting mixed up.
DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

Make sure to preserve that beautiful film of dried oil and grease on those hubs and crank!;)

Back