When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 schwinn cruiser 5

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

blue6218

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello there, I just bought a 1980 Schwinn cruiser 5 and have a couple of questions. Where was the bike made? What years were the cruiser 5 produced? Does the bike have heavy duty wheels or middleweight wheels? Any info passed along is much appreciated. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Some Cantilever History

Mr. Blue,

Use this useful link to browse a useful list of Schwinn Catalogs that Tom Findley graciously spent time to scan and put on the Internet. You should be able to find the answers to your questions?

http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm

Schwinn built 26" cantilever bicycles starting in 1938, evolving into different models thru the 40-50's, then thru the 60-70's had the Heavy "Duti" (with a I) and the Typhoon.
1978_36.jpg

In 1977 Schwinn reintroduced this ubiquituous design as the Schwinn Spitfire in 1977, made it for 77-79, with the Spitfire 5 only for 1979, and then in 1980 changed the name or introduced the Schwinn Cruiser and Schwinn Cruiser 5.
Also in 79 for a short period the first 5 speed Spitfires were called the "Klunker 5." These are pretty rare birds.
My understanding the name change was due to "Klunker" being a trademarked or copyrighted name coming from the new emerging Mountain Bike Trend starting from the Downhill Mountain Bikers from Marin County who were using 30"s Schwinn "StraightBar"
klunker.jpg
frames with heavy duty components to blast down Mt. Tamalpais, Marin County, California. They called their pursuits, "Klunking" and their bikes "Klunkers." It was awesome to know these old 30's Schwinns were the choice of early mountain bike history!

regards,
theSaint

klunker.jpg

1978_36.jpg

Hey Saintly, Thanks for taking the time to answer my thread, I will enjoy learning more about my bike. I can tell you it is a great riding bike and the 5 gears are nice....

I currently have a 80 Cruiser 5 in Spicy Chestnut. That year model balloon tire cruiser is my favorite and was made in Chicago.
A pic of mine is below. I've had several of them. Let me know if I can help.
f9d13f08.gif

Hi,The Schwinn "Cruisers" and the others made like them used middleweight frames. They are narrower from the seat tube rearward.

Pat

Maroon Schwinn Crusier 5?

Hello there, I just bought a 1980 Schwinn cruiser 5 and have a couple of questions. Where was the bike made? What years were the cruiser 5 produced? Does the bike have heavy duty wheels or middleweight wheels? Any info passed along is much appreciated. Have a great day.

I need the same information you are asking? I just recovered a Maroon Schwinn Crusier 5 in decent shape...its has all the orignial parts..I think? The handle bars are iike old school bmx handle bars..not completly sure they are original..but I believe they are becauseitI has schwinn grips on them. Anyway..what should I do with this thing? It needs a chain and some light sanding to get the rust of the rims and a good cleaning and a complete tune up. What are these things going for in this condition? Should I sell it? Should I fix it up first? Thanks for any and all advice...Bye the way...i'm a bike enthusist..but not much on bikes older then 1994 when I got into MTN. Biking :)

No Cruiser 5's came with BMX bars. The mid 80's models did have foam bar wrap and BMX style grips.

Back