When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rechroming question for plastic on spaceliner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I would advise anyone considering those home chroming products to do some google searching on the reviews, the stuff is garbage. I would also advise to just get the parts re-plated, in my experience you will be disappointed with used parts and that just equates to more money thrown away. If you think you can recover the cost of restoration in the market value of the project once completed, better get into some other hobby besides bikes. Looks to me the only people recouping restoration costs on anything these days are people that are into Ferrari's or other high end collector cars.

If you're restoring a Spaceliner, forget about finding mint show quality used plastic parts. Just rechrome what you have. 50 year old chrome plastic is the problem. Every Spaceliner I've seen has some kind of wear and tear on these parts, mine included, and it's a beauty. I'm a big fan of these bikes, I just wish they hadn't used plastic, lol. Also, I'm convinced that any attempt to home chrome these parts will be a waste of time and money. I think the process is called vacuum plating. Google it and find a shop in your area. As for mint Spaceliners being worth only $300, that's a bit outdated. But none of us are here to discourage another member from pursuing a project. The question wasn't one of is it worth it or not, but simply if any of us had any luck getting plastic rechromed.

Anything can be restored. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing a project. I believe it is helpful though to let people know what to expect so they can weigh their options. V/r Shawn

If you're restoring a Spaceliner, forget about finding mint show quality used plastic parts. Just rechrome what you have. 50 year old chrome plastic is the problem. Every Spaceliner I've seen has some kind of wear and tear on these parts, mine included, and it's a beauty. I'm a big fan of these bikes, I just wish they hadn't used plastic, lol. Also, I'm convinced that any attempt to home chrome these parts will be a waste of time and money. I think the process is called vacuum plating. Google it and find a shop in your area. As for mint Spaceliners being worth only $300, that's a bit outdated. But none of us are here to discourage another member from pursuing a project. The question wasn't one of is it worth it or not, but simply if any of us had any luck getting plastic rechromed.

I agree! I love the fins, chrome, optimism, and national pride this country had during the space race. The first man to the moon! But dang, I wish these late 50s-mid 60s bikes had metal trim, not plastic. I found a NOS tail light housing for my Silver Jet, but I got lucky. This chrome fades the moment it's bolted to a bike. Heat, excessive moisture, UV exposure, and being handled in regular use just wear the plating off.

It's called Vacuum Metallization , commonly used on car interiors in the 60's and 70's.
Lots of places to have done in the metro Detroit area.

Read about it here:

http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/custom-manufacturing-fabricating/how-to-metalize-plastic

Here's a place near me that does it:

http://www.blplating.com/index.htm

Yup. That is the technical term. I used to work for an auto restoration company, and we chrome plated all the plastic parts in house. It's a fascinating process really.

I would suggest finding a mint Spaceliner unless the bike is very special to you.I have some and they were not expensive.

I would suggest finding a mint Spaceliner unless the bike is very special to you.I have some and they were not expensive.

Maybe he is one of those guys that gets bummed out if he has a speck of lint that no one else would ever notice under a new waterslide decal, I'm one of those guys. You are not going to find "mint" bikes unless there is a stash of bikes NIB somewhere or someone did a full restoration on one of these. How did the word mint become so subjective anyway? Not trying to be argumentative but doesn't mint mean like a newly minted coin, fresh from stamping and as good as it gets? In the case of bikes or collectible anything, mint means like the day it rolled off the showroom floor, new everything right? Anyway, I'm all for throwing money at restoration projects if that's what floats your boat. At least you will have something to show for it and something you can take pride in. Vintage stuff will always be worth something unlike what I see most people throwing their money away on.

Someone pointed out the straight forwardness of the question, "anyone had any luck getting plastic "rechromed"? I have a spaceliner project." I always wonder what these people think that don't come back to reply after the topics they started veer off into something completely different. It is funny, we're telling the guy to dump that piece of crap and get a better bike and all he wanted was some input on re-plating plastic. For all we know he might have a bike that someone would consider "mint" as is. I hope he has great success and shows us the results.

any other feedback on Perfection Finishers ? I have a piece that needs this service... unless anyone knows of a Shelby goose egg tail light for sale.
(I didn't think so...)

Back