When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre '64 Huret spoke protectors on Ebay

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The '63 Varsinentals also used it.
And probably the earlier Continentals that came with Huret derailleurs.

There is information presented here that contradicts this. It appears the implication is that the spoke protector should mimic the OD of of the largest sprocket on the freewheel. Since the base Continental for example used a smaller OD freewheel, it uses a smaller OD spoke protector. The catalog pictures as bad as they are seem to confirm this.

Since the bigger SP would obviously work on all these models, who's to know for sure what it was actually used on on the production line.

Our collective best guess is that these were definitely used on the 15 speed models and maybe on other models. Right?

Summary
Added 2/7/16

1961 1/2 - 62 Continental an Varsity used the 4 3/8" Huret Solid protector to match the 25T freewheel

1963 Continental? and Varsity used a 4 3/4" Solid Huret protector to match the 28T freewheel
added 2/8/16 evidence the Continental used the slotted 4 3/4" protector

1962- 1963 15 speed Super Continental, Sierra and Superior used the 4 3/4" slotted Huret protector for the 28T freewheel that was used on all of these

Last edited:
Apologies, I thought the Continental had the 14-28 freewheel in '62, but I just checked and you're right. It still had the 15-25.

Looks like you summed up the spoke protector info. But you left out Schwinn's first 5 speed bike with a protector even though it's not a lightweight, The Corvette 5.

Here is something interesting and the first and last time I've come across this. A non Huret equipped Varsity with the small solid protector.
s-l1600.jpg

Jeff made out pretty good on this third listing, after raising the price twice! I wonder if Schwinn installed the SP on the later 61's when they gave it 10 speeds, even though they were not equipped with the Huret derailleurs. More likely the protector was added after the original purchase of the bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-SCHWINN-VARSITY-BICYCLE-10-SPEED-SUICIDE-SHIFT-SIMPLEX-VINTAGE-SADDLE-/291654276251?nma=true&si=3yzZ13pUuOtrGu%2BAaQMhN%2Bt87Dk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
Looks like you summed up the spoke protector info. But you left out Schwinn's first 5 speed bike with a protector even though it's not a lightweight, The Corvette 5.

Here is something interesting and the first and last time I've come across this. A non Huret equipped Varsity with the small solid protector.
s-l1600.jpg

Jeff made out pretty good on this third listing, after raising the price twice! I wonder if Schwinn installed the SP on the later 61's when they gave it 10 speeds, even though they were not equipped with the Huret derailleurs. More likely the protector was added after the original purchase of the bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-SCHWINN-VARSITY-BICYCLE-10-SPEED-SUICIDE-SHIFT-SIMPLEX-VINTAGE-SADDLE-/291654276251?nma=true&si=3yzZ13pUuOtrGu%2BAaQMhN%2Bt87Dk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There is information presented here that contradicts this. It appears the implication is that the spoke protector should mimic the OD of of the largest sprocket on the freewheel. Since the base Continental for example used a smaller OD freewheel, it uses a smaller OD spoke protector. The catalog pictures as bad as they are seem to confirm this.

Since the bigger SP would obviously work on all these models, who's to know for sure what it was actually used on on the production line.

Our collective best guess is that these were definitely used on the 15 speed models and maybe on other models. Right?

Added 2/7/16

1961 1/2 - 62 Continental an Varsity used the 4 3/8" Huret Solid protector to match the 25T freewheel

1963 Continental and Varsity used a 4 3/4" Solid Huret protector to match the 28T freewheel

1962- 1963 15 speed Super Continental, Sierra and Superior used the 4 3/4" slotted Huret protector for the 28T freewheel that was used on all of these

My 63 Continental with the 28 tooth freewheel with Huret changer uses the 4 3/4" slotted model. The bike is very original so I believe this is the way it was built.

Last edited:
The small solid protector that was used on the Conti, Varsity and Corvette 5 speed with the 25T freewheel is 4 3/8" in diameter. The 63 Varsity 28T freewheel used the 4 3/4" solid protector. Not positive about the 63 Conti 28T but my guess is it had the larger solid piece like the Varsity. So there are actually 3 versions of the early 60's aluminum pie plates known.

My 63 Continental with the 28 tooth freewheel with Huret changer uses the 4 3/4" slotted model. The bike is very original so I believe this is the way it was built.

Great, I was waiting for someone to chime in about the 63 Conti. Hard to believe the Varsity was the only model wearing the larger solid piece.

Just to sum up, can we safely say that if the bike is pre - '64 and used a 14-28 freewheel, it used this spoke protector?

There are the claims about the 63 Varsity SP to consider. If it fits right, good enough for me.

I will keep modifying the summary unless someone has a problem with that. Without that, this thread would be very confusing to someone just dropping by to get some info on these. Been there.

Last edited:
Back