When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Shipped A Bike With Amtrak!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Cory,
Does the bike kind of float in the center of the box or did you put some packing materials to keep it from wangling around?

Cory,
Does the bike kind of float in the center of the box or did you put some packing materials to keep it from wangling around?
Great question! There was absolutely no floating. We adjusted the handle bars down to the point where it was very snug with the box pressing down on them with the sandwich affect. The other point of contact width wise was the seat, it was snug also.
No packing material other than a couple t-shirts at the points of contact on the seat and rear fender.

I've been shipping with Amtrack for the last 15 years or so and here is what I have learned.

Bring packing materials tape gun, foam, bubble wrap etc with you and the more the merrier.
Amtrack boxes are almost perfect size but most balloon bikes Max out with the rear fender
coming in contact with the end of the box. No bueno. Pretty much a guaranteed damaged
rear fender...... front tire comes in contact with the other end so no issues there.
I've resolved this by bringing an extra standard bike box along and an exacto knife to cut and sleeve
the Amtrack box an extra 6 inches or so. It's a bit of labor, but mandatory if you want
to ensure safe delivery. Stingrays and 20, 24" bikes......will fit in the Amtrack single box.
Since I have used AmT for shipping primarily restored bikes, I can't take chances with mishandling
or damage. I've shipped Autocycles to Evinrudes this way with no damage or claims. But I cocoon the
heck out of the bike with packing foam so that the box bulges like a balloon.

Recently however Amtrack has changed alot of policy adding new restrictions and BS, and has even gone as far as
putting a weight limit on the bike at 50 pounds. Very few deluxe Ballooners with packing
materials are that light. The last 2 years have been very very difficult shipping bikes
via Amtrack and I have tried in LA, Chicago, NY with mixed results and have been
turned down on the weight issue at locations that were once 'friendly' to heavy balloon bikes.
One solution they offered last time I was there to use 2 seperate boxes, which I did, and was a pain in
the A and pretty much defeated the purpose of shipping a bike in tact.

Also be aware that many Amtrack locations are limiting the Package Express service
which is the method used for shipping bikes whereby you are not a also a passenger.
Your home station, might, but the destination station might not or visa versa.

Best bet is calling ahead and finding out before you make the journey with your bike
and materials. Amtrack is the best for sure, if the ducks all line up.

Bob, absolutely correct.
The rear fender was padded with a t-shirt...not the best or even desirable; but worked in this case.
Sleeving the box to be 6" longer would have worked perfectly; Buy 2 $15 boxes, for twice the protection....
I didn't want to take it apart, Pack and box; so I paid a "Lil' more and hoped for the best; which worked out for buyer and seller in this case.

Bob, absolutely correct.
The rear fender was padded with a t-shirt...not the best or even desirable; but worked in this case.
Sleeving the box to be 6" longer would have worked perfectly; Buy 2 $15 boxes, for twice the protection....
I didn't want to take it apart, Pack and box; so I paid a "Lil' more and hoped for the best; which worked out for buyer and seller in this case.

Yep! grab a free box at bike shop and cut it to size standing the extra box on End (as Amtrack boxes are taller)
then cut it down to fit, and simply 'sleeve' both boxes.
Takes a little surgery to extend the Amtrack box, but save the 15.00 bux with paying AmT for another box.

Most importantly.....Check with your local Amtrack before you go there. The last 2 years have been
major 'red tape' changes with bicycle shipping and MOST refuse the box if it weighs over 50 pounds....
and some stations won't accept "package express" large items period. Typically has to be a larger
hub that is well staffed.

I've shipped and bought a few before on Amtrak even with walk on option on bike rack (mini vacation) always had good luck ,thanks for sharing.

Greyhound shipping is also good. Just make sure to pack it right. Their shipping costs are very reasonable. I definitely have to try out Amtrak.

Does the person receiving the bike then have to go to the Amtrak station to pick it up.
What does Amtrak charge roughly to ship half way across United States.
I like Bike Flights for $65 I can ship a bike from Wi. to Cali. and that is picked up at my door and delivered to the receivers door. I always have the buyer pay for shipping to save $10 or $20 doesn't really matter to me. I like the convenience of pick up at my door.

Back