When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help From The Schwinn Experts

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It's very possible it did now that I think about it. My 46 BFg leader(dx) came with the 26x8 SB bar, but the 56 spitfire ballooner boys came with Boy Scout bars. Another schwinn mystery.

Here's the 1955 Spitfire

1955_17.jpg

Last edited:
The '49 and '50 Goodrich catalogs show the OP's bike with the 26 x 8 swept back bars. I agree that these bars would look better. This bike looks to be the Challenger model. Although the Challenger for these years came with a deluxe style guard instead of the feather style. And a Challenger decal on the tank. At least in the catalogs.
Cheers, Geoff

The '49 and '50 Goodrich catalogs show the OP's bike with the 26 x 8 swept back bars. I agree that these bars would look better. This bike looks to be the Challenger model. Although the Challenger for these years came with a deluxe style guard instead of the feather style. And a Challenger decal on the tank. At least in the catalogs.
Cheers, Geoff

What does it show in the Goodrich catalogs for a 1951 model? The OP's bike could have a late 50 serial number which would make his bike a 51 model. Schwinn is famous for changing parts from one year to the next so I'm curious if the 51 model is the same as the 49-50.

Well these bars measure 22 inches wide so are they the #7806 as pictured in the catalog for full sized bikes and are they correct for a 1950 year model Schwinn? Also did BFG Schwinn models come with a different style chain ring rather than this sweetheart style chain ring?

The '51 Goodrich cat shows same wide boy's style bars. The '51 X-mas Goodrich cat shows bike with Phantom ring, otherwise the same. And the '52 Goodrich cat shows the bike with the sweetheart ring again. The cats likely aren't 100% correct.
The BFG models usually used the same rings as their corresponding stock Schwinn models. No special BFG-specific rings were produced.
I'd just toss some boy's bars on there, grease up the bearings, and ride it.
Cheers, Geoff

From the image you have shared here looks like it called Schwinn Panther. It was very popular at that time.
It had some special features like-Schwinn knee-action spring fork, whitewall tires, two-tone finish, chrome-plated fenders, and chrome trimmed tank with a built-in horn.

From the image you have shared here looks like it called Schwinn Panther. It was very popular at that time.
It had some special features like-Schwinn knee-action spring fork, whitewall tires, two-tone finish, chrome-plated fenders, and chrome trimmed tank with a built-in horn.

Not a Panther--no chrome fenders etc... V/r Shawn

Personally I'm not so sure that bike didn't come just like that. I know the BFG bikes varied from standard Schwinn offerings and maybe this was a concession made on this particular model? Just seems odd that everything else on the bike is correct and doesn't seem to have been messed with. V/r Shawn

It's very possible it did now that I think about it. My 46 BFg leader(dx) came with the 26x8 SB bar, but the 56 spitfire ballooner boys came with Boy Scout bars. Another schwinn mystery.

+1
To me this bike looks pretty untouched. Would be a shame to change it around now.

Great looking bike.....get it ready and all purdy and ride that bad boy! It looks perfect just the way it is...if fellow riders with you complain about its parts, tell them to go home and ride on, bro'......now, let's go ridin'

Back