When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson Model 90 Road Racer - So I Bought It...what Next?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks, guys. Nut quickly came off after I started knocking it the correct direction, haha. Now to just pry this dang crankarm off...

I don't plan to ride it...I'd hate to cause any damage to the rims. I'd just like to make her as shiny as possible.

All our hearts just sank a little! Come on, man! It's a bike made to be ridden! If they are metal clad rims, you have nothing to worry about. Jus playin with ya!

I learned this little trick from Ivrjhnsn........................when all else fails, this "ball joint removal tool" and a heavy hammer will usually work. Just be careful not to damage anything in the process. Pete in Fitchburg

upload_2016-2-9_7-16-0.png

All our hearts just sank a little! Come on, man! It's a bike made to be ridden! If they are metal clad rims, you have nothing to worry about. Jus playin with ya!

Haha...nono, it's not just that. The tires aren't rideable, and the wheels need to be completely rebuilt. I am taking it all completely apart, but I'm not a wheel builder and don't claim to be. My intent is to keep this as absolutely authentic and original as possible.

Thanks Ivr and Handyman...I'm going to try to get my hands on a gear puller and/or a ball joint removal tool today.

For the slotted nut, I got a wide paint chisel, ground the edge flat, and an indent for clearance of the bolt in the middle. I used a puller to remove the crank, but mine being ~1912 has the nut on the drive side, which gave the puller something for both arms to grab onto.

I saved the original wheels and got modern replacement wood wheels. I ride it quite often and it rides very well. Have fun!

UPDATE!

She's 100% broken down and nearly all the bits and pieces have been cleaned. I hope to begin piecing her back together tomorrow. I want to specifically thank Pete (Handyman) and Scott (ivrjhnsn) for answering a lot of questions via message. This would have been much more of a headache without you both.

Bare frame cleaned up:
254wznr.jpg

Most of the metal bits cleaned and oiled:
126bvx3.jpg

Rear wheel disassembled - spokes and hub were very badly oxidized, so I broke it down to clean up as much as possible. Lockring was stripped, so I couldn't remove the cog to remove the drive side spokes. I like that it still looks sweaty:
2dl5efa.jpg

Sneak peek of the BSA Paratrooper I also picked up...plan to make a thread in the military forum for this one as well:
1znlhrk.jpg

Back