When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Iver Johnson Model 90B Chater Lea Racer - Recently Discovered

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
WOW! NOS Lobdell wood racing wheels and re-nickeled Iver Johnson hubs..........................................just can't get too much better than that ! Looking great Scott. Pete in Fitchburg

Got a riddle for you,,,"what's black and nickel with no stripes" ? Answer.......This

IMG_8413.JPG

any idea on the top speed ? i really like racing ivers ! do you plan to go black or another color ? what seat is correct ? kindest regards mike

i would go with Mike Cates stainless steel pedals so you can buff out any future scars incurred from flat out cornering you could sell the leftover pedals for 200.00 a set and nearly pay for a set of Mikes pedals ,just a thought ! put me first in line to purchase a pair of the stars i want the left rear and the right front pair if this is ok with you !i can make suggestions anytime you need guidance at no charge ,the bike should turn out to be a stunning rider kindest regards mike

Hi Mike (olderthandirt),
The bike will be black. The double hairline gold pinstriping is being worked on as we speak. Because the 90B Chater Lea model featured English racing parts, the correct saddle for this bike would be a Brooks model 15 Champion Standard. Keep your eyes on this thread as things will come together rather fast now and many more pics will be posted. Pete in Fitchburg

Handyman,
First off - great looking bike !!
Would you mind sharing who you are having do the pinstriping bike.......?
I have a 1899 Crescent Model No. 15 that is super nice shape but needs the pins painted back on after I find a pics or another one like it to use for a reference.
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
Between my wife (who has a great eye and is an artist) and myself, we plan to do the pinstriping ourself. I have another 1920 Iver Johnson Model 90B Chater Lea racer ( http://www.theboulderartgallery.com/Iver_Johnson_Bicycle_Collection/IverJohnson_Page_8.html ) that has incredibly well preserved double hairline striping that I will use as a guide. I did a little research and I will use the "Finesse" stencil tape and their paint. Their stock #F-44 tape with measurements of 1/32" x 1/8" x 1/32" is a perfect match to the original size of the pinstriping. Here is a pic of the tape:

Box.JPG

Here is a pic of the two colors of paint I bought, one sample was C-13 "Metalic Gold" and the other was C-5 "Imitation Gold". After painting two test stripes on a black spray can top and matching the colors to other black Ivers I have with gold pinstriping, it was clear to me that the "Metalic Gold" was right on. Below is a pic of the two cans and the test stripes.

Cans.JPG

Here is one final pic of the F-44 Finesse stencil tape next to some original double hairline striping on an Iver Johnson Model 90B Chater Lea racer. This is the bike I will use as a guide to make sure the pinstriping is applied as closely as possible to the original. Pete in Fitchburg

Stripes.JPG

Small glitch with my first attempt to use the F-44 Finnesse stencil tape. The double striping looks too thick when applied to the frame. It certainty does not match the description in the Iver catalogs that say "double hairline" striping and not even close to the double stripes on an original bike. Pete in Fitchburg

Pin.JPG

Back