When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Cwc Tall Tank Questions

-
Dogdart you mentioned 1st bike was possibly Nate's, any more info ?, OG paint ?, as far as the racks, CWC and Snyder used the same parts when they were supplying the same distributed like Wards and both making the same model.

6b583734ef84706522174b60aa7de366.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pic Marty, you can really see the 1/2 pitch sprocket and the Royal masters, don't think I have ever seen the Western Flyer style in 1/2 and probably had Western Auto tires, still like to know correct WF chain guard, is there any WF literature or pics out there?, mine # is K9 so probably late 41.

Last edited:
mrg , your serial number is exactly what I expected, based on other examples with that rack, I believe it's likely original.

A couple of theories I have are that stamping plants may have switched over to war production earlier and supplies ran out , so they used the pod rack , which would have been in house for Hawthorne models , to supply bikes that were advertised to have twin lights . The other possibilitie is that the pod rack was to be the top rack for 1942 .

stuff110_zps1ae5d50a-1.jpg
stuff109_zpseb675d53-1.jpg
Here are some pics ofmy original paint 1942 A2 serial Roadmaster .

note the enclosed chainguard was still in use . Also note the painted wheels and truss rods, as materials for chrome plate where unavailable.
Also I believe the Hawthorne chainring to be original equipment, as supplies dwindled and whatever was on hand was used to crank out bikes

I was always told the pod rack was just on the WF version (WF chainring also) and Roadmaster had the longer rack (any pics of a RM with pod rack) still trying to document if both used enclosed guard, sense my front fender is not the springer version who know what was changed years ago or different parts (chainguard) used in wartime shortage, if the bike you thought might Nate's is og maybe WF version was exactly the same except badging, chainring and tires (who knows about wartime shortages) and the racks changed because of yr (41/42) or shortage.

FB_IMG_1424735482134.jpg
FB_IMG_1424735456616.jpg
I am fairly certain that all the parts that that were on mine.other than wheels , seat , and chainring, were original to the bike . the layersof paint are consistent down to the original maroon. my bikewas probably built 4 months before yours

Back