When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Changing Collection

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think as an active collector your collection will always be changing whether its do to a change in taste, income, or knowledge. I have found this to be true with all of my collections. I don't think there will ever be the point when I say "I've bought my last bike and my collection is complete". There is just too much cool stuff out there I haven't seen yet! V/r Shawn

I think as an active collector your collection will always be changing whether its do to a change in taste, income, or knowledge. I have found this to be true with all of my collections. I don't think there will ever be the point when I say "I've bought my last bike and my collection is complete". There is just too much cool stuff out there I haven't seen yet! V/r Shawn

That's a good point.

Yes good point. I guess I'll stop changing my collections, buying and then selling off what I no longer want, when I die.
I'm enjoying reading how others bike collections have changed from one corner of the field to another! Very interesting also how some are happy with 5 or 10 bikes, and others have 50 or 100 and still looking.
Some like nice high end bikes ready to ride. Others buy cheap bikes that need a lot of work and will wait years to get them on the road. It's a lot like old cars (which many of you have owned also).
Keep your stories coming, it's good reading for all levels of collectors, and I'll bet the new collectors will enjoy this thread. Might help them get their focus on what they REALLY like sooner.

I got into bikes about 4 years ago. Started out with just buying anything that was cheap that I could fix up and sell. Then started getting into older bikes, like 60s cruisers stuff. But again just bought cheap stuff. Mainly girls bikes. Eventually that turned into 50s men's cruisers and I sold off any 60s girls bikes I had. At that point I was buying anything from repaints to rat rods to originals. From there my collection changed to prewars. Started buying prewars and sold off all my men's 50/60 stuff. Ever since I started with the prewar balloon bikes I havnt changed. I did eventually sell off all my projects that were repaints and parts. Now I pretty much only buy completes, with OG paint that are prewar, most of the time at least. Ya live and learn. I've learnd so much over the last 4 years, I've spent countless hours on here and looking through different bike books always try to gain more knowledge. I don't know if I'll ever sway away from the prewar balloon bikes. Never know though maybe I'll venture into the 20s eventually.

I used to buy bikes in all price ranges (Ballooners) and had accumulated 50-60 bikes. I have since then condensed it down to the best 15-17 bikes. Here are the rules I stick to now.
1. I do not buy any bikes that are worth less than $500
2. I try to stick to original paint bikes. (not always possible)
3. I will pay up to $1000 for most prewar makes
4. Schwinn is the only bike I will pay more than $1000 for
These are the guidelines that work for me

I think as you get deeper into bikes you start substituting quantity for quality bikes. I keep my bikes even if I switch to a different style bike because many times you may go back to a certain style.

Back