When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Troxel Toolbox Saddle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here but from a straight business perspective this is a non-starter. Even if by some miracle they did still have the original tooling, and it was serviceable, the cost would be high ($500+ easy) and the market probably less than a hundred. Your best bet would be if a few talented hobbyist on the left coast decided to collaborate and produce a few of these but they still won't be cheap. The reality of this is if you really want one you're better off just whipping out the big boy wallet and buying an original. Jus my 2c. V/r Shawn

I wasn't suggesting Troxel would do it from a "straight business perspective". Of course it's a money-loser; that's why I floated the idea, obviously as a longshot, that they might be approached to do it as a 120th or 125th anniversary gig. And it's not a question of ability to pay for an original saddle. Anyone on here who has a car or house or condo has the ability to pay, it's a question of justifying the expense to one's spouse and kids as well as oneself. I can't imagine having the piece of crap toolbox saddle that's currently listed on Ebay for $625 (and shows as $880 CDN on my page!) that's held together by string and patches arriving at my doorstep and my wife saying to me: "You paid $900 for THAT?!"

I am using my Flo-Cycle to showcase the streamlined styling of the 1930s, and to that end I bought repop pointy grips and repop teardrop pedals. So I just need a saddle that's streamlined to finish it off, and I don't even care if it's a toolbox saddle. If anyone has a non-toolbox, streamlined saddle to sell me, or if you know of a type that I can search for, please contact me or post a photo. The brown seat is just temporary.
FloCycle37.jpeg

I always thought the point of antique bikes was that they were actually made from antique parts. These saddles aren't that hard to come by. I've owned three in the past year and just sold one. Be patient. Network with people in the hobby. Always have your wallet ready.

I've been restoring Brooks-type saddles for a few years and have made good restorations and reproductions of many leather saddles dating to the 1930's-1950's. I'd be happy to help if I can.

But my main interest is lightweight bikess, and I feel like a fish out if water here. The words "Troxel Toolbox Saddle" mean nothing to me. Can you please give a few photos etc of the kind of saddle you're talking about? The saddles in the two photos above don't look like leather at all.

I wrote to Brooks, the iconic English maker of leather bicycle saddles, asking if they would consider making a "Brooks version" of the Troxel toolbox saddle. Below is my email to them, followed by their reply:

Hi. Would you please consider manufacturing a Brooks version of the iconic "Troxel Toolbox" saddle? A Google Image search will show you what it looks like. It was the premium saddle of the 1930s streamlined era, is very rare and very sought after today, with examples bringing $600 and up, if you can even find one. The market for a new Brooks version would include thousands of vintage bike collectors worldwide and makers of new "retro" cruiser bikes. I would pay $350 CDN for one, if it were available. -B.R.

Dear Brian R.

Thank you for getting in touch. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we would be able to do for various reasons - such as copyright, the machinery involved for that type of product, marketing, etc.
Kind regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone on this site considered approaching any other bicycle seat manufacturers with this request? A few years ago, some fellow vintage car enthusiasts I was in touch with got together and made a group order to have ball joints specially manufactured in China in a small batch - 250 I think. With the high demand, low supply, and ridiculous prices for these saddles, can someone come up with a way to get them reproduced somewhere by some company willing to do it?

I wrote to Brooks, the iconic English maker of leather bicycle saddles, asking if they would consider making a "Brooks version" of the Troxel toolbox saddle. Below is my email to them, followed by their reply:

Hi. Would you please consider manufacturing a Brooks version of the iconic "Troxel Toolbox" saddle? A Google Image search will show you what it looks like. It was the premium saddle of the 1930s streamlined era, is very rare and very sought after today, with examples bringing $600 and up, if you can even find one. The market for a new Brooks version would include thousands of vintage bike collectors worldwide and makers of new "retro" cruiser bikes. I would pay $350 CDN for one, if it were available. -B.R.

Dear Brian R.

Thank you for getting in touch. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we would be able to do for various reasons - such as copyright, the machinery involved for that type of product, marketing, etc.
Kind regards,
B1866

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone on this site considered approaching any other bicycle seat manufacturers with this request? A few years ago, some fellow vintage car enthusiasts I was in touch with got together and made a group order to have ball joints specially manufactured in China in a small batch - 250 I think. With the high demand, low supply, and ridiculous prices for these saddles, can someone come up with a way to get them reproduced somewhere by some company willing to do it?

Troxel Toolbox seats

http://www.vintageccm.com/content/troxel-toolbox-seats

The stars must be aligned, Aaron Ethridge @ratrodz were having the same conversation today about the Streamline seats. Can someone please comment on the actual material used to make the saddle, it looks like a laminated layers canvas cloth. Is the textured black outside treatment a textured oilcloth or a rubberized product? Were any of these ever made with leather in the period?

Back