When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Define Toc

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I like the idea of the period change to be when styles changed, even though this does not apply to racing and some other types of bikes. Since the motorbikes were first advertised around 1914, which is so close to 1913, can we agree to define TOC as 1900-1912? I don't like seeing the TOC term used to describe bikes and parts from the teens and calling the period 1900s is too inclusive of the whole century.

I agree with Fat Tire & redline.....But those slightly inclined for generalisation - I can see why they would use the term. Now - the big question is why does such a broad brush stroke matter? Those in the know - obviously know...Pedantic - possibly? Not a big fan of labels myself.....though, they are needed.

Last edited:
Is this an accurate timeline?

Velo
Bone shaker
Ordinary
Safety transition
HTS
Diamond & pneumatic tire transition
TOC
Teen's
Moto's
Balloon tire transition
Cruiser's

end TOC at 1908-9 when block chains and rat traps basically go away??? 1912 is too late to be called TOC in my opinion. My2cents

I'd say TOC should encompass 1899 to 1901, period as that is when the "century turns". Pre 1899 bikes should be identified by the year or 1800's and post 1901 as 1900's. Teen bikes are well......teen bikes. The term TOC of course when selling or buying a bike is subjective and the buyer/seller will of course list/look at the specific date. Like ANY antique or collectible, the price is also subject to what someone is willing to pay. Condition, rarity, desirability all play a roll in pricing.

Don

Back