When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre '64 Huret spoke protectors on Ebay

-
Looks like the verdict is in. All 28T freewheel bikes 1961.5 to 1963 take the 4 3/4" slotted disc. Now if we could only get some good pics of the solid discs off the bikes. I'm putting it on my 62 Conti just because it looks so nice.

There used to be some good pics of the solid ones on the SchwinnBikeForums. Don't know if they are still there or not. They were likely posted by some of the folks here.

Looks like the verdict is in. All 28T freewheel bikes 1961.5 to 1963 take the 4 3/4" slotted disc. Now if we could only get some good pics of the solid discs off the bikes. I'm putting it on my 62 Conti just because it looks so nice.

I wouldn't assume that all the 28T freewheel bikes had the slotted 4 3/4" protector just from seeing one nice Varsity that is equipped with one. I've documented quite a few Corvette 5 speeds with that slotted 4 3/4" piece including one of mine and they definitely were not a factory installation, more like a replacement. Here's a couple crappy flip phone pictures I just took of a wheelset that was on one of my 63 Varsitys. Ignore the hubs, there off a 71 model.

SP 1.jpg
SP 2.jpg
SP 3.jpg

I'd like to throw a kicker in this subject. Today I had in my hand a NOS slotted protector and after measuring the diameter it's now known that both solid and slotted pieces were made in the 4 5/16" and 4 3/4" diameters.

Think ive seen these Brevete pie plates before at my LBS. I about shat myself when I came across a large stack of them in a cluttered corner shelf. They are smaller in diameter than the solid huret pie plates. Ill re investigate when I get a chance to go down there.

I found this eBay item interesting. The box is ink stamped 1951, parts look that old but the pie pan doesn't seem to have the patina the rest of the parts have. Could it have been around from the early 50's?

It is possible. The spoke protector is stamped Super Champion and that company stopped making derailleurs in the mid-'50s: http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Super_Champion_derailleurs_page_2.html

It may be that they sourced the protector from Huret with the Super Champion branding added.

Back