When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Cool Lemon paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok...thought I'd stir the old pot a bit with this one. I stumled onto something interesting the other night. Lot's of cyber ink has been spilled over the correct process and order of the different layers of paint on these old schwinns...particularly in discussions about the candy colors that use a silver base coat under the translucent colors. Well here are two examples of original paint candy colors that seem to have been painted with two different processes. The red is a 65 KS Heavy Duti and the silver base coat seems to be shot directly over the bare metal...followed by the red color coat(s). The blue bike on the other hand is a 61 KS American and this photo clearly shows a red primer used, followed by the silver base which is then topped by the blue. Both candy colors, one with red primer...one without. Go figure. What say ye?
bluepaintredprimer.jpg
redpaintnoprimer.jpg

I'm seeing red primer on both frames.
I should have mentioned, the darker red you see on the red bike that looks like primer in the photo is actually on the top layer and seems to be original paint that didn't get blasted out in the Arizona sun.

I'm seeing red primer on both frames.
Me three

By the way, Pete needs to use a silver base under his yellow base coat because you can see through it. Unless of course you lay on lots of coats. You should be able to use a white sealer and achieve the same results. Schwinn lemon yellow should be an easy color for any body shop supply store to match but you would have to buy a full pint of it. That makes Petes paint not that expensive after all.

Last edited:
I will be painting an old Sting Ray that is Cool Lemon (bright Yellow). Does anyone have any suggestions about obtaining the correct color paint. Do any big box spray cans match up? Any auto store colors? Thanks!
I just got o lemon that needs paint to.how did the ford sink color turn out ?

Back