When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gonna Call It The Dropout

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

parkrndl

Finally riding a big boys bike
ok, so I picked up a Collegiate for my daughter and it got me hooked on Schwinn lightweights. I wanted a Collegiate with the camelback frame just because I think it looks better than the diamond frames, and I'm only 5'6" so I can get away with it. Camelback Collegiates seem to be rare and pricey, so I figured I'd try to fake one. Started with this Craigslist Speedster, which was thoroughly beat:

00a0a_5hj2NI5BDY1_600x450.jpg

Fenders are obviously toast, bars were bent, fork had a wonky crooked lean to it, and the bottom headset cup was loose in the frame. A beer can shim worked for the headset, and I managed to whack the bars and fork into a semblance of straight. Then I raided an old junk Ross Europa 26" 10-speed for its wheels and brakes and other assorted bits. Ordered some Wald fenders and Kenda tires from Niagara, and this is what I ended up with:

20160728_125510.jpg

20160728_125556.jpg

20160728_125719.jpg

I like it. It rides like her Collegiate, even though it doesn't have the same pedigree. I already have a set of Schwinn brake levers for it, and some squishy Schwinn grips that I haven't decided if I'm using yet. Want to find a Schwinn 5-speed shift lever for it (the big long one that mounts at the top of the headset) and a reflector for the rear fender, and maybe replace other little bits with Schwinn stuff along the way. The chain rubs the guard a little in first gear, so i was thinking of painting another guard black and putting a Collegiate decal on it just to confuse Schwinn nuts, but I'm sure anyone who really knows what they're looking at will get it immediately. Besides, I kinda like it the way it is, maybe I'll bend the guard a little to clear the chain if I can bring myself to do it...

20160728_125858.jpg

--rick

Is this the style shifter you are looking for?

View attachment 344664
Yep, that's the one. My daughter's Collegiate and the brown girls Collegiate I picked up both have that or something similar. The brown bike cleaned up too nice to pick apart, though.

edit: actually, I may have found one already. I'll know this weekend.

Last edited:
Looks really good- good work!

I've thought about these bikes and wondered- so I'll just throw t out here:
Has anyone put 700 c wheels on these frames?

Back