When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Bearings

-
I'm lazy when it comes to this process. I bought a small ultrasonic tank from Amazon. Simple Green for the solution. Dump the parts in while your working on something else for a couple hours, have a cold frosty pop or two, and voila. It does an amazing job on bearings/hubs/etc.

I have a gallon can of carb cleaner that I got in 1978 and I'm still using it to soak bearings and derailleur parts.

That comment made me laugh. Last week we were at my Dad's getting the 83 Yamaha snowmobile fired up and he handed me a can of starting fluid. I used it - it worked fine and he said " You know how old that is - 1986 - the year we moved in. " he was right - it still had the sales tag on it from Bargain Barn in Toledo from where we moved from :)

For bearings with hardened grease that can't be taken apart, I've found boiling them in a pan of water for 30 minutes or so, followed by a blast of compressed air gets them squeaky clean.

I'm lazy when it comes to this process. I bought a small ultrasonic tank from Amazon. Simple Green for the solution. Dump the parts in while your working on something else for a couple hours, have a cold frosty pop or two, and voila. It does an amazing job on bearings/hubs/etc.

I like that method better than mine.I'm going to try it

I'm on the same plan as pedal junky. I will say I stopped putting chains in it as it removed the blueing. I have a gallon of gunk carb clean I soak them in now. Same can for 10 years or so. Probably not as clean but still blue. I got my parts cleaner on eBay.

Back