When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short frame differences?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ADReese

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Can anyone educate me a little on the difference between a standard frame and a short frame on prewar schwinns? Specifically 1940-1941. I see that the seat clamp area is different, what other dimensions have been altered?

Additionally, how would a short frame bike compare in value to a tradional 26" mens frame? All other things being equal.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the seat post dimension is the only difference between the 16" and the standard 18" at least on the earlier years. I don't own a 41' to compare.
In my opinion the short frame value is considerably less than the standard frame, only because of how it looks in comparison.

Really the only difference for the small 16" frame is the seatpost binder bolt goes through the rear seat stays instead of raised tube and built in seat collar. The fenders, fork, rack are all the same parts as the 18".

The tall 20" frames use a different rear fender and rack, and the fork has a longer steerer tube and truss rods for the 6" head tube (vs 5" on the 16 and 18 inch models). Longer springer legs as well since they have to reach up farther.

Awesome, thank you so much for the info! My gut feeling was that the price was also lower but I wasn't sure.

Back