When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All "D"s are not created equal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rustjunkie

. . . . . . .
Type of finish, and the measurements of shells and other parts differ from the first New Departure Model D coaster brake hubs thru the "standard" 1940 and later models.
Among other things, there are differences in:
Plating on all parts
hub shell width and other measurements
Disc support sleeve measurement
Brake arm thickness

Below are some pics of an early D and a prewar 1940s D, the red paint was added and isn't orig. The point: parts are different and generally not interchangeable. Mixing of parts can cause operation and adjustment issues. I'll try to clean the images up and provide more accurate info as I have time.

1512.jpg
1513.jpg
1521.jpg
1523.jpg
1525.jpg
1527.jpg
1529.jpg
1531.jpg

Very timely- I've got several on the bench at the moment I'm trying like hell to get 1 usable hub out of with no luck. After I saw this, I did some measuring, and found some discrepancies between the internal parts measurements my eye didn't pick up. I greatly appreciate this post- Thanks.

This is very interesting and extremely helpful info.Now it makes sense to me why the brake arm on a hub I pieced together was slightly loose even with the lock nut tightened down.I tried another arm and it tightened down fine . I thought this was strange; because I thought that all Model D hubs were created equal in size and dimension of all parts . This info. from rustjunkie is going to be a great help to us all. Thank you !

Would be neat to take this one model of ND at a time and do a number of them. Seeing if actual dates of the hubs can be matched up by the part sizes included. No doubt an extremely time consuming project. I have two model D's here. One from 47 and one the original from my 41 CT. Just pulled out a 0-1 mic and already saw the differences alone just wi5h the disks. Think I will take it into work tomorrow and really get to monkeying with it while machines are running.

Scott, you're a genius.

I was wondering the same thing. If I have older- taller hub can disc be used from second version. I don't like seperating them. I just slide whole stack on

Howza bout an update on this topic? I just found out I had the wider shell bilt with the shorter disc support. I thought it was tight when turning. wheel by hand. Could that have been an issue??

Back