When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel Wool too light for Chrome?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If it seems like there may be nice chrome underneath minor surface rust, my suggestion would be to carefully go at it first with a single edged blade and then something (such as aluminum foil or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover) that won't have the potential of dulling the chrome.

It might be prudent when suggesting the use of steel wool for rust removal or cleaning, that it MAY cause noticeable dulling on some chrome parts.

Last edited:
hi, I found if you take a straight razor blade for a small paint scraper, use it first to shave off heavy rust, really cuts down on time, then go with 4 (0000) fine steel wool with heavy car soap or chrome cleaner,i have had pretty good results, I do want to try steel wool and wd-40...have heard it works good also

Schwinn chrome holds up well when using S O S pads.

I no touchy any chrome wit steel. Not in 0000, not SOS, nope, bad, bad, bad. Brass and aluminum foil good, but steel blows.

SOS soap no helpy either, bad, bad, bad, worse than 0000.

If brass brush or Alum no workey then get Oleic acid bath. After all, most rust is more fungal than penetrated and spoiled, seeped out of microscopic hole in chrome and then coating the chrome surface. once you get that top coat layer off, at least in decent chrome that has a nickel or copper sealer under the it, they be plenty shiny to see. [wink]

With that said, there is occasion for 0000, in my tool book. if somebody etched the chrome already wit SOS or 000, 00 or steel, or stainless brushes then you may buff the deeper etches down if ya got the elbows for it. 0000 scratches mo better than 000 or 00 ones.

Then of course you'll have to define "GOOD CHROME".

Here's a good example of good chrome that I wouldn't want to dull with steel wool. Description states specks of rust on chrome.
s-l1600.jpg

So, I've come across a pretty simple rust remover that doesn't harm the chrome (at least the handful of times I've done it). Doesn't work on deep rust, but for the peppering it cleans up pretty good. Her is what you'll need. Grab a pen.

1.) aluminum foil

2.) H2O ("water" for the lay person)

Fold up your foil into a manageable size. Dip the foil into the water. And rub the rust away. When it drips black, you know it's working. Also have heard works well dipping in vinegar and also with Coca Cola.

So, I've come across a pretty simple rust remover that doesn't harm the chrome (at least the handful of times I've done it). Doesn't work on deep rust, but for the peppering it cleans up pretty good. Her is what you'll need. Grab a pen.

1.) aluminum foil

2.) H2O ("water" for the lay person)

Fold up your foil into a manageable size. Dip the foil into the water. And rub the rust away. When it drips black, you know it's working. Also have heard works well dipping in vinegar and also with Coca Cola.

Coca Cola does work. I remember when I was a kid my father used it to get rusted lug nuts off and clean tools. May have been a lot stronger in the late 50's early 60's than now.

Coca Cola does work. I remember when I was a kid my father used it to get rusted lug nuts off and clean tools. May have been a lot stronger in the late 50's early 60's than now.

Are you sure it wasn't Rum and Coke? ;)

I used aluminum foil once to remove rust without scratching the chrome (see videos on Youtube), but I am new to the vintage bicycle arena. Would 000 or 0000 steel wool be a better choice? I have some NOS chrome rims that I ordered that require some cleaning and would like any experienced insights. Thank you,

Rides4Fun

Back