When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can 5-speed Simplex TDF rear derailleur work on a 4-speed cassette?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BlackRockJohhny

Look Ma, No Hands!
Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm wondering if a 5-speed Simplex Tour de France (TDF) rear derailleur work on a 4-speed cassette? I have a (actually, am anticipating that I will soon have) a 1960 Schwinn Varsity with a 4-speed cassette. It comes with a 4-speed Simplex Tour de France.
However, if it ever happens that the 4-speed TDF fails, could I use a 5-speed TDF (which I have laying around) on that 4-speed cassette? The throw of the 5-speed is 23-24 mm, so I assume that it will have more throw than the width of the 4-speed cassette (maybe not, just an assumption on my part).

Are there any issues that would prevent my 5-speed TDF from working on a 4 speed cassette?

Thanks!

it should work fine - friction shifting doesn't require any kind of index steps.
I have run several different RD from the 5-sp era on 6- and 7-speed, and heard of them running fine on 8-speed cassettes.
All you have to set up are the limit screws that keep the RD aligned with the limits of the freewheel cogs.

1a103495-242f-49d5-b382-e849912c1790.jpg

it should work fine - friction shifting doesn't require any kind of index steps.
I have run several different RD from the 5-sp era on 6- and 7-speed, and heard of them running fine on 8-speed cassettes.
All you have to set up are the limit screws that keep the RD aligned with the limits of the freewheel cogs.

1a103495-242f-49d5-b382-e849912c1790.jpg

Thanks for the reply, bulldog1953.

Actually the Simplex TDF doesn't have limit screws as far as I know. It's a plunger-type derailleur.
Here's a pic:

IMG_20170205_102028.jpg

Hopefully there's a way to limit it to keep it out of the spokes - bad things happen.
But otherwise, there's nothing that will keep it from working with 4 cogs.

I going to tease you a bit about your terms used. There is or never was a 4 speed cassette used on a Varsity. There was a 4 speed freewheel and they are indeed different. The derailleur should should work with a 4 speed freewheel. I have a 1960 Continental that would have come with a TDF derailleur but some time early in its life it was replaced with a 1962/3ish Huret. Talking to old Schwinn dealers that was apparently pretty common. The Huret will stay on the bike as long as I own it. Roger

Back