When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Klunker build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Very cool!!!

LONG time mountain biker here with plenty of experience on rigid bikes, hardtails, full suspension, etc. Ridden East coast mud, clay and dirt and West Coast desert quartz sand and alpine single track! From hardwood forests to evergreens and fire roads....

But never as much fun as my DX bomber. Pure....
She is a single speed, New Departure hub with coaster brake, MX handlebars and a 42 tooth BMX chainring. I am running Araya rims and bear trap pedals.

And she is a BLAST! Probably put around 300 + miles on her now. Very little in the way of brakes, but fun to powerslide around the corners! This bike makes me feel like I am 10 years old again!!!!!

HAVE FUN!

Very cool!!!

LONG time mountain biker here with plenty of experience on rigid bikes, hardtails, full suspension, etc. Ridden East coast mud, clay and dirt and West Coast desert quartz sand and alpine single track! From hardwood forests to evergreens and fire roads....

But never as much fun as my DX bomber. Pure....
She is a single speed, New Departure hub with coaster brake, MX handlebars and a 42 tooth BMX chainring. I am running Araya rims and bear trap pedals.

And she is a BLAST! Probably put around 300 + miles on her now. Very little in the way of brakes, but fun to powerslide around the corners! This bike makes me feel like I am 10 years old again!!!!!

HAVE FUN!

Any pics???

IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG
I found using a early mountain bike fork or ATB as they were known back than to use canti brakes , although I prefer side pull or drum myself , here's 3 variations of different set ups I have now

The canti frame is the new build.king louie built the camelback .flight cranks and pedals on the way for the new bike.debating on weather to leave as a patina frame,or new black powder coat.

I don't see where anyone dismissed Chris. I believe Dutch is going for a period correct build and the availability of CBR forks is limited. Chris had great factual first hand historical advice when he suggested a CBR fork with canti's, Unfortunately to pick up a CBR fork would take several months of ebay searching and more money than the rest of this build put together. The vintage BMX Cruiser guys are as fanatical about CBR products as a group of Cabe members trying to be the first one to a craigslist Bluebird add. And everyone knows those BMX dudes have some serious deep pockets for their projects. On top of that, Chris himself on his post has a concern about bastardizing vintage bike stuff. Adding canti studs to a CBR fork would be doing exactly that.

Other options like an early Tange fork (collectable but not nearly as rare or expensive) modified with canti studs, Clamp on canti mounts, or some pre 79 drum brakes could be a viable option and would stick to the spirit of the build.
I put some good money into my builds, but CBR forks pound for pound are the highest cost on the planet. $810 eBay sold, $2200 elsewhere for sale. Not even I am that crazy and I throw $$.

Back