When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late-60s Raleigh Sprite 5-Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
A few shots from last weekend's ride - late 1960s Sprite with 5-speed Sturmey S5 Hub. It has the oddball dual-stick controls from the S5 of that era, but does have the nice version of the heavy-duty Sturmey bell crank on the non-drive side.

20170211_160944.jpg

20170211_161025.jpg

20170211_161106.jpg
20170211_161035.jpg
20170211_161123.jpg

Very nice! Someday I'd like to try out one of those 5 speeds. They seem like they'd be tricky.

Ideally the shifting pattern would be more logical in terms of what the rider has to do to change gears, but these are really driven by the mechanical aspects of the S5. The S5 is created by taking the FW four-speed and supplying a non-drive bell crank. They were able to make a 5-speed simply by continuing to make their four-speed, but with a different shifting mechanism. They later went to a sequential (straight pull to lower gears - 5 stops on one shifter), which is what a modern hub would do today.

In fact, Sheldon Brown has instructions to convert your FW four-speed into a five speed, which is basically the first type S5 hub. You have to change the shifting mechanism to duplicate basically what the factory did to make the S5 from the FW.

My International (derailleurs) is set up with half-steps, and the bike I'm working up next is going to be set up the same way.(mostly because I already have the components)
Half-steps with a wide rear is the ultimate way to get the widest range, narrow-step gearset with the fewest parts.

Shifting the half-steps on the chainrings is the equivalent of having a one-tooth cog change in the rear.
For people used to shifting 11-sp, it seems ungainly, but the shifting algorithm is really simple.

Either up or down, always shift first on the chainring half-steps (left), then shift in the rear as needed (right).
Generally, you always want to get on the big chainring as soon as you can, so you have that half-step down always waiting for you (exception to this rule would be carrying a big load up a long grade, or cruising at a similar cadence with your friends on 11sp bikes).
The point is you're shifting two levers, left and right, most frequently up front, but it works really well.
The original Lenton GPs were also set up this way, with with 49/46T chainrings.

Last edited:
You have inspired me to go back and pick up an early 70's Sprite, I think, that I came across cheap. This one is brown in color.

Back