When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwann S seat re-furb

-

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
I want to paint the pan of an S seat and wonder if anyone has tips on how to remove the vinyl cover? I think I saw some people using a heat gun or hair dryer to make it more pliable. How difficult is it?

It can be a little challenging. I used to let them sit on the dashboard of my car in the summer and get fairly hot, then use gloves to keep from burning my hands in order to pull the cover off. They would pull right off that way. A heat gun would probably work too. Just have to get it warm enough so it's pliable. Sometimes stretching the bottom of the vinyl will discolor it a bit, but it's the bottom so you don't have to worry about it. Maybe try it on a saddle you don't care about to get used to it. Good luck!

Thank for the tip! I do have an extra seat I can practice on. I just need enough sun and heat now to try it. The midwest you know...75 one day 50 the next.

No rivets. Not sure why this thing is automatically wanting to spell Schwann instead of Schwinn. I saw that after I posted and obviously didn't read before posting.

Keep this quiet and don't tell anyone my secret way. :p After removing the springs and other hardware I soak the seat in scalding hot water. It softens up the vinyl along with giving it some lubrication.

Back