When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mr. Magoo ( My Dad) You gotta love him!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

barneyguey

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hello Guys! My name is Barry. I thought you might think this was funny. It took place about 25 years ago.

One of the first Bicycles I cleaned up and rode around was a 1958 Schwinn American middle weight with a kickback two speed rear end. It was Black with the Original Decals etc. Of course I sand blasted it and painted it with Spray Paint. I don't know what I was thinking? It looked pretty good with new paint and the Chrome all cleaned up so I decided to find a decal like the one on the Chain Guard. I had left the paint on the Chain Guard along with the Decal. I found out about this place called Nostalgic Reflections in the Spokane Valley that reproduced Decals.

I took the Chain Guard along with a $50.00 dollar bill to Nostalgic Reflections. This was what he wanted for several copies of the Decal. Jerry said he would get a hold of me in about a Month and would have my Decals ready. Two Months later I went out to Nostalgic Reflections and Jerry said he had been very busy working on an Airplane Dash and would get to my Decals soon. I checked with him from time to time and finally gave up after "YEARS" of trying. He always had some lame excuse. That was 27 years ago, I'm still waiting and he still has my Chain Guard!!!

Once, before I ended up selling the bike as my Interests changed. My Father called and wanted to ride one of my Bikes. I loaded up the American and my 41 Excelsior and went over to his House. Before we took off he asked me how the Kickback Two Speed rear end operated. I explained it to him and started to take off.

I watched him as we took off, he went about 20 feet and somehow ended up with his foot in the rear spokes and flipped upside down. I ran over to him and asked if he was OK. He said, something’s wrong with your Bicycle and the rear end doesn't work right? It worked fine for me? He was scratched up, but Ok. The Handlebars were bent up, paint all scratched to heck, it tore a hole in the Grip and newly covered seat and it had a bent pedal. After that it made it easy to sell it.

Happy Trails! Barry

LOL :D I couldn't believe my eyes! :eek: It's pretty funny to me now, but it sure was a bummer then. Barry

My dad parked the car he was working on behind our other two cars. It was then he decided to buy a muffler for the car. So he took my bike (with-out my permission) and rode to and back from the parts store a mile away. when he got home, he stopped (barely) threw my bike on the ground and ran inside...he was as white as a clean sheet. Thought he was gonna have a heart attack! He was ok though. That's what happens when you haven't rode a bike in 35 years or so.

Back in the early 70's we were camping in Kentucky. My buddies and I were fishing. When we came back to the campsites all our muscle bikes were gone.
We were freaking out when suddenly we heard war hooping coming from down the road. All our dads were on our bikes peddling with their knees passing their ears just as fast as they could go.
It turns out my dad had the brilliant idea to swipe a couple tobacco plants from a farmers field. The farmer heard the commotion,as he was in his barn and yelled for his wife to bring out his gun.
That was the last time any of our dads rode a bike...
My Dad turns 80 this year and if you go in his workshop today hanging from the rafter is 3 dusty old tobacco plants.

Last edited:
While on a fishing trip when I was a kid, and friend of mine and I rode to a farm pond. Me on my Schwinn World Traveler and him on his Columbia 10 speed. While riding back, he had a hold of a stringer of catfish which dutifully got wrapped up in the front wheel. Had fish guts all over the fork and wheel. That made for a good laugh.

While on a fishing trip when I was a kid, and friend of mine and I rode to a farm pond. Me on my Schwinn World Traveler and him on his Columbia 10 speed. While riding back, he had a hold of a stringer of catfish which dutifully got wrapped up in the front wheel. Had fish guts all over the fork and wheel. That made for a good laugh.
LOL Sounds like a great trip.:D

Back