When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint removal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ridin' my Schween

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi All,
I am new to the site and can't navigate as well as some of you so I need help. I recently bought a bike that has been repainted and wondered if there is a way to remove the top layer to uncover the original paint. Any input is appreciated.

New at this also ... but I have had some success using Acetone ( ie nailpolish remover concentrate ) and a soft tooth brush and a rag .

many others have posted here on cabe and have had success with success graffitti remover and goop off products.

My novice lessons learned first hand

-DONT Abrate.... the highest priority is not damaging the existing factory paint , abrasion takes no prisoners, likely will take the OG paint down as you go. if you are tempted to use rubbing compound or 0000 steel wool, do not succum. If you must abrate and have no will to resist temptation to abrate, use the compound sold for clearing fogged headlamps on cars until you are over it. If you are determined yet to Abrate in vain , cleaners made for fiberglass showers and tubs are less harmful than rubbing compound.

- be patient !

when working with a dissolver solution, keep a limited scope starting at least important noticeable parts of the frame.

Using acetone is not the preferred method among those with more experience. search the forum and there are some in depth discussions from experienced experts

note : if you try acetone, (or other similar fast evaporating dissolvers) you need to work quickly in micro sections, as it dries up in minutes and cant be rubbed off. look for cheap deals on makeup remover pads, they are ideal. multiple small rags are better than one , and a true cotton terry washcloth stolen from the ritz is better for the first peel and scubbing as you absorb diluted spray over.

dissolve and absorb , wash away the agent as you go .

I hope you also will hear from experts and or others can provide reference links to existing posts of proven methods ... we will both be reading them !

(And, fyi the 9th step of the twelve is , keeping in perspective: its just old bike , if its not prefect , thats ok )

Back