When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

13 Years Of Oil

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Here's a set of Kenda tires I put on my 1974 Raleigh in 2003. They were brand new at that time and have been on the same wheels ever since. The darker tire on the right is the rear and was subjected to any excess oil that escaped from the Sturmey hub. Its condition was worse than the front. Oil has an insidious negative effect on tires and tubes, and these pictures show it.

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2016/09/panaracer-col-de-la-vie-for-raleigh.html

20160918_161203.jpg

20160918_161208.jpg
20160918_161213.jpg

Last edited:
My Rudge Sport has Kenda gumwalls, fantastic tires at a good price.

Oil on the rear tire and rim is a Sturmey thing. Two things I do is periodically wipe the rims braking surface with degreaser and try to remember to park them with the oil port façing upward.

These had not yet reached the point where they were structurally deficient, but they were on their way there. The side walls grew more petrified and became filled with cracks. The front tire was in better shape. It may be tempting to rotate the tires, but this is actually a mistake. By doing so you put the more worn, potentially damaged tire in front, which is where a blow out will do far more damage.

Now that you have had the Col De La Vie for a few days, how are you liking the ride? I have a set for my upcoming restoration on my '55 Superbe and am a little concerned that the increased cushy ride is going to mean more rolling resistance. The combined weight of me and the bike will be around 275#.

20160918_165231.jpg

20160918_165215.jpg
Now that you have had the Col De La Vie for a few days, how are you liking the ride? I have a set for my upcoming restoration on my '55 Superbe and am a little concerned that the increased cushy ride is going to mean more rolling resistance. The combined weight of me and the bike will be around 275#.

They're very good. The side walls quote a pressure just below 45 PSI. Harris Cyclery quotes 55 psi. I found that at 45 PSI, they were very cushy but very slow. That might be good on gravel or such. 50-55 PSI they ran much better. They are only slightly slower than Kenda K40s at the same pressure, but much cushier. They have an "all 'rounder" type tread that is not quite slick, but has small knobs. They handle dirt/sand/stones better than Kendas.

The hardest part is getting them to fit. It's a very close fit in the fenders. I did get them to go OK on my 1974 Sports.

Grand Bois tires are excellent, a good range of sizes, and good service.
Plus they send their nifty catalog with every order.
Can be a little tricky to figure out their website, but it works. When you place an order, they will contact you with a paypal invoice.

Automobile tires are said to be compromised after only ten years of life due to age not miles traveled. 13 years for Kendas sounds to me that they should be replaced anyway.

Back