When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1914 Peerless Refurbish

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TOCKubin

Look Ma, No Hands!
IMG_0794.JPG
Around Thanksgiving I happened to be in the right place at the right time as a local dealer was just bringing in his latest load of stuff from auctions. I happened to hear someone else talking to him and overheard "it even has wooden rims". This made me perk up of course but the person replied "dude, isn't that American Pickers level stuff" and my heart sank however I kept my cool. So i wandered ti the other side of the store where the bike was and saw the bike so so I asked, "is this sold yet"? He said, "nope, I think its a 1914 Peerless and I called a local bike collector who said he might give about $200 so for $200 you can have it." I managed not to fall over because i could see that everything was there even though don't have much experience buying bicycles although I have pretty mad skills as an antique picker in general. Brought it home and now Have had the pleasure of finding thecabe and all the fun it has to offer.

IMG_1251.JPG
After much thought i decided i wanted to do a refurbish that also included restoring some luster to the chrome but did not include altering the paint or rechroming. I disassembled and don't have any pictures of that but have been working on it since November and wanted to post the progress.

I wanted to make a rider that remained mostly original but decided that I would rather straighten and shellac the wood rims and then send to a shop for new spokes with the original hubs. I felt that while using the original spokes is more true to leaving as is I would rather ride around knowing things were in tip-top shape. I also feel that wheel building is an art best done by experienced artists even though i am a competent do-it-yourselfer. I sent the rims and hubs out to Sugar Wheel Works and was supposed to get them yesteday but was stymied by the big ice and snow storm! They ae supposed to come next Tuesday.

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG
Used some Pecards antique leather restorer on the seat and really thought it brought things back nicely. Too bad there is a little missing material from the back of the seat. I have not seen many other Pearso "H" model seats out there. On the chrome i mostly used a buffer on a bench grinder with green rouge although on the seat springs and a few other parts I soaked in oxalic acid first. This made the springs polish up quickly!

I tried to find a cap for the one pedal but with no other pedal is welded on and I decided not to risk careful grinding that could potentially weaken the crank if I am going ot ride it. I think the bike spent some time on a farm and the most practical repair would be a weld right? I decided to put back the improvised wooden pedal cap held in place with rusty wire as it was when I found it. The chain and chainring cleaned up nicely. I will post pictures of things as i continue. I have ordered Dean Tires and look forward to receiving the wheels back from Sugar Wheel Works; a great company to work with so far. I welcome any comments or helpful advice. Sorry to those of you who prefer to "keep the crust". I think vehicles fall into a far different category than coins (I also have a 49 Chevy 3100 pickup with a 350 engine that i installed). Imagine some day in the future when people would send in their old bikes to a certification company so they could be graded and "slabbed" like coins. Probably not too likely I think. I ma thinking of finding a different seat for riding and wonder what others have done for a teens bike like this. I am also leaning towards glue for the tires but have heard that Tufo tape would be good so any comments would be great. Also i will hang onto the original bulldog handles but also have ordered a pair repros from Bricycle
IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG

You should consider a brooks, it'll look period correct but if that's too pricy there are many nock offs you can get. I really like that your refurbishing and not restoring!

You should consider a brooks, it'll look period correct but if that's too pricy there are many nock offs you can get. I really like that your refurbishing and not restoring!

Yes, if I am going to ride it much I will use a different saddle. One mishap and the leather would be done. Would hate to be the guy that wrecks the saddle after 100 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back