1915 Iver Johnson? Serial Number help, model identification

Discussion in 'Antique Bicycles Pre-1933' started by tailhole, May 13, 2012.

1. #1 Posted May 13, 2012
    tailhole

tailhole I live for the CABE

Hi, I just picked this bike up from a guy that said he'd had it for 20 years and he had bought it from a shop that had it on the wall 20 years before. The handlebars & seat had been replaced with the ones shown (the seat has a rubber Messinger cover on it). The serial number is 11953 and is stamped on the bb. Any clues on this one? Head badge is missing, but it has what look like 3 mounting holes, the lower one is centered, the upper holes are around the sides. The wheels are steel clad wood with the Morrow hub shell emptied. All spokes seem tight and are present, the front tire even holds air. Any info on the correct year and model would be helpful, also want to replace the badge and would like to know where to get tires/tubes for it. Thanks in advance.
    -Scott[SUB][/SUB]

Attached Files:

#1 tailhole, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
    Tags:
  2. #2 Posted May 13, 2012
    Krautwaggen

Krautwaggen Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Most of the time the serial number is posted on the right side of the seat tube (just below were the seatpost inserts)

Just for fun, I'd repost this question in this thread

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...-gathering-place-for-dating-IJ-bicycles/page9

It's kind of the information thread for Iver Johnson. It's kind of disorganized, but you'll generally get an answer pretty quickly.

From the hip, my Iver Arch Truss is serial # 256466 and is considered to be 1915ish. There is a ghost list out there maintained by Bill Smith of The Wheelmen. If you send him a nice email with the serial # he'll be able to tell you more than most people. Check the wheelmen website for more information.

By the way, my bike shares the same paint scheme as yours (what little is left of it)

If you could email me some detail photos, I'd appreciate it greatly.

PM me for my email address.

Thanks!

#2 Krautwaggen, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  3. #3 Posted May 13, 2012
    bud poe

bud poe I live for the CABE

Congrats on the score!
    There are many helpful threads on here regarding replacement 28" singletube tire options. There are even modern rims that take modern tires with the same profile, I believe the rims are "velocity P-35's" or something like that. Just use the search bar and you should find several threads...
    As for the year, there is also someone on here starting an Iver Johnson serial # chart, hopefully they will chime in to help you...
    The headbadge you'll have to get lucky and/or search ebay. Place a "wanted to buy" ad in the classified section here, you never know!
    I'd be interested in the tires you have there if you are going to replace them, PM or email me if you'd like to sell them...
    Good luck with the bike!

4. #4 Posted May 13, 2012
    Krautwaggen

Krautwaggen Cruisin' on my Bluebird

There is currently a badge with the red celluloid insert on eBay. They do appear from time to time.
    Funny because a lot of the finds posted on the cabe are missing the badges.

5. #5 Posted May 14, 2012
    66TigerCat

66TigerCat Wore out three sets of tires already!

Nice score, really like the paint scheme. On the down side the fork seems bent.

6. #6 Posted May 14, 2012
    dfa242

dfa242 Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Great bike - I love that paint color as well. I'm not an expert, but I think it's possible you may be missing a digit on the serial number. I have a circa 1907 truss frame with serial no. 124660, and since they ran sequentially, yours would be pre-1900 if that number is correct. Again, I could be wrong, but let's have another look at the number just to be sure.

7. #7 Posted May 14, 2012
    tailhole

Thanks for the info. The serial number is correct, haven't heard back from the Wheelmen yet (I just registered lastnight). The guy I bought it from said 1915, but I did see a Wheelmen thread with a bb 5 digit serial number starting with 3 and it was an 1897 I think, so this might be at least that old. Very excited. I put some new rims (laced to old hubs & a saddle on it lastnight so I could ride it & took a shot of it this morning. Fork might be bent, but rode great. Paint doesn't seem original, but must have been done 40+ years ago according to the seller. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for all your help.
    -Scott

Attached Files:

8. #8 Posted May 14, 2012
    tailhole

Thanks for the info. The serial number is correct, haven't heard back from the Wheelmen yet (I just registered lastnight). The guy I bought it from said 1915, but I did see a Wheelmen thread with a bb 5 digit serial number starting with 3 and it was an 1897 I think, so this might be at least that old. Very excited. I removed the fenders (for a rattle-proof ride), put on some new rims (laced to old hubs & a saddle on it lastnight so I could ride it & took a shot of it tgis morning. Paint doesn't seem original, but must have been done 40+ years ago according to the seller. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for all your help.
    -Scott

9. #9 Posted May 14, 2012
    dfa242

Cool! I have a ladies safety with serial no. 38714, believed to be from 1895-99 so you must indeed have an old one there - good for you!

10. #10 Posted May 14, 2012
    pelletman

pelletman Wore out three sets of tires already!

I don't think that is an Iver Johnson, their truss frames didn't look like that, and the sprocket doesn't look IJ to me either

11. #11 Posted May 14, 2012
    lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Wore out three sets of tires already!

EDIT: I found Phil's interpretation of Bill Smith's research:

That sprocket looks exactly like the one on every iver ive owned.. so far about 4...

I have a truss bar that look almost identical to that..

[​IMG]

My iver is 283460 - im guessing 1914 or 1915

#11 lobsterboyx, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  12. #12 Posted May 14, 2012
    pelletman

pelletman Wore out three sets of tires already!

Huh. I guess I'm used to the early ones

IJBLUE.jpg IJBLUE1.jpg IJSIGN2.JPG ijwindle2.jpg Sorry about that

13. #13 Posted May 18, 2012
    tailhole

Update from Mr. Bill Smith - the mystery continues

So, Mr. Bill Smith was kind enough to answer my email about the serial number and trying to pinpoint a date of manufacture. He said look again, there has to be another digit in the serial number, so I took this photo and sent it back. He also said the model of my bike didn't arrive until 1915. I sent a photo & pointed out how the truss bar, specifically the right side seems nearly straight or parallel with the upper bar (to the right side of the welded bar the joins the two in the middle). Most Ivers I've seen photos of have this bar arcing downward more severely. I'll let you know what he says.
    -Scott

PS, I do realize this must be way more interesting to me than anyone else, but thought I'd update just in case. Oh, I added some NOS Persons pedals & cork grips (they look new and out of place now, but they will be black from greasy fingers soon enough). Probably have 20 miles on it since last Sunday. Need to rebuild bottom bracket before I do much more. Any tips?

Attached Files:

#13 tailhole, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. #14 Posted May 19, 2012
    saneens

saneens On Training Wheels

#14 saneens, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  15. #15 Posted May 19, 2012
    dfa242

"...I do realize this must be way more interesting to me than anyone else..."

Actually, this is one of the things I find most interesting about this hobby - delving into the mysteries of the early, and especially the defunct manufacturers. Please do keep us informed with your ongoning research into this cool bike.

Cheers,
    Dean

16. #16 Posted May 20, 2012
    tailhole

This is what Bill Smith said.... still a mystery.

Hi Scott

The number you gave me is for a 1892 Lovell Diamond bicycle. This frame style came out in 1915 as a Truss Bridge Roadster and was made till the end in 1941. In 1913 / 14 they relocated the serial numbers to the seat post tube. Your crank type is from 1914 - 1914. I'm lost???

Bill