When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1918 DAYTON Military Bicycle

-

hoofhearted

Saint Lactose The Tolerant
HELP ... is there any scholarly-evidence that the '18 Dayton Military Bicycle
was painted BLACK ... and / or .. any scholarly evidence this same model had
it's brightwork also painted ... similar to the 1918 Great Western and the 1918 Col-
umbia .. that had the brightwork painted ??

Thank you for any response ...........

........... patric cafaro

==================================================================
==================================================================

Last edited:
Request Permission to enter...

Ooooh, the Military forum...This is serious stuff.
Boy it's very clean in here, everyone has tidy haircuts, spiffy trousers.

I was directed by the gate guard to this thread in response to Captain Hoofhearted's request for information...

Hand Salute!!

I present,
US troop postcard, sent from France, date unknown. There may be other images of different people from this photo session?

Lots of info in this pic, I hope it helps. I can't make out the maker of the bike. What does a Dayton military chain wheel look like?

Permission to stand at ease?:D

Ooooh, the Military forum...This is serious stuff.
Boy it's very clean in here, everyone has tidy haircuts, spiffy trousers.

I was directed by the gate guard to this thread in response to Captain Hoofhearted's request for information...

Hand Salute!!

I present,
US troop postcard, sent from France, date unknown. There may be other images of different people from this photo session?

Lots of info in this pic, I hope it helps. I can't make out the maker of the bike. What does a Dayton military chain wheel look like?

Permission to stand at ease?:D

Permission granted Top-Gunner Balloontyre ... say .. that IS a rather loaded foto. Any WWI Dayton, Military-
Bicycle info is appreciated. The Dayton- military chainwheel has six, tapering to the outer ring, spokes. At the base
of each spoke will be found a crank, drive-pin-hole. The chainwheel was also used on the Snell, and a few other
models ... usually hardware-store labels

Quite an informative foto, that.

........... patric

Dayton-Call-to-Service-ad-1  cabe.jpg

Dayton-war-bikes-were-constructed.jpg

Dayton-Military-Jan-1919.jpg

wwi_us_doughboy.jpg

Horsepower Added

===================================================================
===================================================================

Last edited:
Does the post card photo look like a Dayton bike to anyone else? I can imagine a faint headbadge shadow or outline kinda like the common Iver Johnson shape, Dayton Wings maybe?

The bike in the photo

seems to have the top tubes much closer than other examples in the thread

Quotation from bike ..... "The bike in the photo seems to have the top tubes much closer than other examples in the thread."

With regards to WW I ... Great Western military bicycles AND Westfield-Columbia military bicycles
have upper-tubing members closer together than some of the Davis-Dayton and Davis-Harley Davidson
military bicycles.

Both the Dayton and the H-D military models have been observed with a narrow-bar configuration if the
machine has a 3" [+/-] headtube. The Dayton and the H-D machines having a 5" OR 7" [+/-] headtube have
been observed with a wide-bar configuration.

The Great Western and the Columbia machines are painted in an olive-drab recipe for paint that could change
from bicycle to bicycle. The two, pigmented components of the OD paint on the GW and the Columbia were
yellow-ochre AND black ... mixed in ever-changing ratios.

The paint on the Dayton military AND the H-D military has been observed to be lowered-gloss black. A few Naval-
Yard specimens have been observed to have been over-painted in what the U.S. Navy calls Haze Grey (Gray ?).

..... patric

Will edit this info this weekend and add fotos. Also ... don't blame me for that Haze Gray reference ... that is pure
Admiral Balloontyre (Ivo) at his best.

And I must commend bike (Paul G.) for having a good eye.

HERE IS THAT EDIT ... fotos attached ......

1918 great western  military.jpg

1918 Columbia Military.jpg

1918 westfield Columbia military 01.jpg

1918 H-D MILITARY.jpg

1918 H-D Military .. reverse chainring .. HARTUNG auction 2011.jpg

1918 H-D factory fotos .. top .. Model B-1 Military .. bottom .. Model 4-18 Motorcyke  001.jpg

=====================================================================================
=====================================================================================

Last edited:
Back