When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930s NSU

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lots of NSU information at:
http://www.fahrrad.nsu24.de/index.html
Including a sales brochure for your bike!

Thank-you Andrew, awesome pages there. I like this old ad because the girl is holding a Zeiss Contax II camera, which by coincidence I am currently shooting film with:
17861747_1326480430776167_5790274326870087094_n.jpg

Well new tires are on, seat and bars are adjusted and some cleaning and lubrication has been done. I rode it today.

Shifter shifts the rear hub. I would not put money on the original seat or shifter cable lasting that long in use.

Any bicycle like this that has been sitting for decades is going to be a huge project if it is done up right both in time and money. Doing it right means complete disassembly, cleaning, lubricating and adjusting of every component and replacing any that are beyond repair. I did the bare minimum to this bike so it can be ridden on short rides to the grocery store or cafe, trips measured in city blocks only. One of the front bearing cones is pitted so in regular use it will destroy the entire bearing assembly, and I did not check or adjust the rear hub, crank or headset bearings.

Here is the bike with the new tires put on this morning etc.:

17862612_1326610150763195_4338553637373489852_n.jpg

I think this bike may have had it's original tires and tubes from the 1930s. The tires were hard, cracked and crumbling, the tubes were soft and supple and could probably hold air except for the valves having problems.

The rims did not have rim strips, but notice how the tires have overlapping flaps to encircle the tube completely and protect it from the rim. Really cool....

17862322_1326610070763203_3341322701764908263_n.jpg

The old Continental tubes were natural color:

17862569_1326610147429862_5321503424280480794_n.jpg

I went ahead and posted a link to this thread in my lousy German at Altesrad:
http://www.altesrad.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19007
There is a reply with a picture of your rack and the missing integrated rear stand, and a link to a couple of modern similar stands. I'm glad to see it's on the road again! I wouldn't worry too much about pitted bearing races in a bicycle. Any big lumps can be stoned off with a slipstone, and new balls and grease will keep it running smoothly

I went ahead and posted a link to this thread in my lousy German at Altesrad:
http://www.altesrad.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19007
There is a reply with a picture of your rack and the missing integrated rear stand, and a link to a couple of modern similar stands. I'm glad to see it's on the road again! I wouldn't worry too much about pitted bearing races in a bicycle. Any big lumps can be stoned off with a slipstone, and new balls and grease will keep it running smoothly

I guess I'm going to have to brush up on german to view the rack & stand.

Capture.JPG

Thank-you Andrew Gorman. Yes, you do have to join the forum to view it's contents, maybe I will get together with Google translate someday and give it a try. Just by looking at the stand mounts I can pretty much tell what is needed to fit. I was planning on getting some heavy-wall steel tubing sized to fit into the spring-clamps and fabricating a stand at some time. I am good with the acetylene torch, mig-welder etc.. so it should be a fun project for the near future.

According to the 1938 brochure, the model with the rack on back is an model 82, and it is one of the more expensive models in the brochure at 82 German Marks.

17862302_1326796410744569_7744509788665324059_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice details in those photos Andrew. I can see the stand is steel tubing riveted together and I think I can handle that easily.

Back