1935-36 HW DURALIUM I'm

Discussion in 'Project Rides' started by TR6SC, Mar 19, 2017.

1. #1 Posted Mar 19, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

I bought this bike from a fellow member a couple weeks ago. Very good transaction. No surprises. I also want to thank the other members who chimed in with XLNT input. I now have a good idea of what this baby is. I began the soapy wet sanding today with #400. Look at the lovely little T on the forks. Any ideas? image.jpeg image.jpeg This bike has the split collar seat post. Will this be difficult to find? image.jpeg
    I'm going to weld the holes in the head casting that don't belong. image.jpeg
    Damaged threads and a split in the tube suggest I replace. Does anyone know if I can get this tube free of the forks, or is splicing in with reinforcement the way to go? image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mike j, hoofhearted, Scribble and 2 others like this.
  2. #2 Posted Mar 20, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

Awesome bike, making me want to get to work on my Silver-King again.

3. #3 Posted Mar 20, 2017

What's yours? Post fotos.

4. #4 Posted Mar 20, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

1936 HW
    38819_281071343c5feb401817d718515300cc.jpg
    38820_a618736e2e4d1ef7f141b8b28c198d2f.jpg

dnc1, mike j, XBPete and 3 others like this.
  5. #5 Posted Mar 20, 2017

That looks great. I'm new to this bike, so forgive my questions if they are way off. Is that an aluminum center stand? And, what is correct on these bikes? Skip tooth, or 1/2"?
    Your bike looks like it's ready to get rolling. PM me if you want some input on polishing.

Scribble likes this.
  6. #6 Posted Mar 20, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

Yep 1/2 is what these bike had from factory, mine is actually original to the bike. I'll have to check the drop stand to see if it's aluminum, don't think is it off the top of my head. Ya the polishing is whats holding me back right now just so time consuming, that and all the screws are rusted in the fame still have not worked my self up enough to try drilling and taping all the rusted screws.

7. #7 Posted Mar 20, 2017

I hear ya 'bout the sanding/polishing. You gotta get your mind right. Wax on, wax off! The end result makes it worth it. The hardest part is the first grit. Once you've done that, it is smooth sailing, grasshopper. One step at a time. Soak those nuts and bolts for a day or two. They'll come right apart. Is it only the rear end bits that are frozen? You'll feel way ahead of the game once everything is freed up.

Scribble likes this.
  8. #8 Posted Mar 20, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

Ya just the rear end of the bike has the rusty crusty bits, the really bad part about it, is the heads of the screws are broken off along with both chain tensioners broken as well. Seems my only option is hand drilling and taping if I want to mount my rear fender.

9. #9 Posted Mar 20, 2017

Easy outs work well. So does a dremel tool. You can carve a slot into the broken screw that will accept a flathead screwdriver.. Plenty of loosening juice will free the bolt or screw so you can remove it from the frame. The slot that you carve lets you. Insert a screwdriver. Google easy out to view how to remove screws with a drill

XBPete and Scribble like this.
  10. #10 Posted Mar 21, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I really like those frames, have a similar one. When I got mine the fork tube was broken in half, looked like something chewed it up. Was able to have it welded back together, believed that is really pressed in to the fork so removal didn't seem like a good option. Splicing w/ reinforcement will work, but it looks like you still have a lot of good threads left, most bike shops have the threading tool, then you could just have the split welded. Sanding & polishing aluminum is a long but well worth process, good luck.

P1010032.jpg

Krakatoa, pedal_junky, TR6SC and 3 others like this.
  11. #11 Posted Mar 21, 2017

MJ, That's about as slick a setup as I've seen. Tell me if those are 26" wheels squeezed in there. Since I haven't got the book yet on these, tell me if you would about the tank. And, how can one tell the diff between the HW's and the Monarks. What are you using for hubs? They look like ND black outs.
    P.S. Nice device on the downtube dude!

12. #12 Posted Mar 21, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

TR6SC, thanks for the kind words, yes those are 26's that fit in there nicely, though I doubt fenders would fit in too. Tank is a repurposed pool cover roller, I have no clue as to the differences b'twn the two brands. I'll have to go look at the hubs again, forget what I used. I want to work on some way to raise the seat a little more & get this one back on the road again.

13. #13 Posted Mar 21, 2017

I live for the CABE

I like how your tank is tucked in there.

mike j likes this.
  14. #14 Posted Mar 21, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

God-forsaken strip mall hell, Chester, VA.
    If i remember from reading the patent for these frames, the steerer was chilled in liquid nitrogen and pressed into the fork. That might be hard to do in the home shop. Apart from the split, there might be enough metal left to salvage the threads with a thread repair file:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...=industrial&field-keywords=thread+repair+file
    I've been able to salvage really messed up threaded parts with these. It can take some time, but it's a quiet, contemplative kind of job, Cutting in new threads with a die can remove too much metal. Welding in a new steerer can also be done- just make sure it is straight and concentric with the stub in the fork. A lot of frame builders will do this for you, and they understand what needs to be done. Or just find a good welder/fabricator.

TR6SC and Scribble like this.
  15. #15 Posted Mar 23, 2017

Good input AG. All my liquid nitrogen has dried up! I struggled with a thread file, but wasn't getting anywhere. I ended up chasing the threads with a die. It turned out much better that I would have guessed. The cone threads on nicely with no binding or slop. image.jpeg

Scribble and volksboy57 like this.
  16. #16 Posted Apr 4, 2017

Good day today! I was able to rip through #600, #800, and #1200. I used a little aluminum polish just to make me happy.
    Tomorrow I will attack the frame. I hope to get through #800. Right now the #400 is done. Should be smooth sailing.
    Since I have nothing other than the frame and forks, I was thinking black hubs, spokes, rims, and tires. 26 inch. Comments? image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. #17 Posted Apr 5, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

I like the black out wheel set idea, I was actually going to do something similar. Just because of the fact that my rims are already painted black.

Also the drop stand is steel not aluminum.

TR6SC likes this.
  18. #18 Posted May 5, 2017

Dude! Talk to me! How's the project?

19. #19 Posted May 5, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

still chugging along, soaked all the rusty bits in PB Blaster for a week still not coming out. So I went and bought brand new cobalt drill bits and a tap set, now I just need to drill and tap the rusty screws. I also ordered a set of ThickSlick tires for it but it's been put on the back burner just for a bit, I entered the RatRodBikes yearly build off with my 1950s J.C Higgins Color-Flow so I need to focus on that for a while.

TR6SC likes this.
  20. #20 Posted May 6, 2017

Are you hip to "Easy Outs"?

Scribble likes this.