When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Schwinn Autocycle with Double Duty Front End

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I theory, the Double Duty fork was supposed to be stronger than the regular single crown truss rod fork.
But, unfortunately, they actually proved to be weaker due to the high stress riser that occurred just below the fork crown. Couple this with the bending load produced by the Fore Wheel Brake, and you had a recipe for disaster.
The forks didn't work out well so the production run was short, thus today, they are very rare. For many years, they existed in myth only because the only place that they ever showed up, was in the old catalogs.
When guys did start turning them up, they were almost always bent. The only true ones to be found were the girls versions.
Unfortunately, to use the girls model on a boys frame, it had to be cut down because of the taller head tube on the girls frame.
This rarely came out well, and most of those looked like a poor butcher job at best.
A dead straight locking boys Double Duty fork in original paint is without a doubt one of the rarest parts you'll find.
There was an original factory primer non locker on e-bay a couple of years ago, and a concerned observer threatened to report the seller for the exhorbitant price he had listed it at. As it turned out, that price wasn't so exhorbitant, because the fork sold with a buy it now in about thirty seconds.

the fork is worth 1000-1300 depending on usable condition, I was on the low end since my mickey mouse bracket was broken and also missing truss rods.

Yeah!
And as we have talked about before, yours was a 1940 issue,in two tone red paint. which I think was really unusual.
The 1940 parts catalog had them listed, but the popular belief was that they were strictly 1938-39 and that was it. I'm sure that 1940 was a run out year, so there may have been some others in odd colors, but so far that two tone red one was the coolest one that I have ever seen. And by the way, It was slightly bent. Not as bad as most, but it did need some straightening.

Mike, great show. Only show I watch religiously. Never been to LeClaire though. I'm originally from Sioux City.

I like the show, besides all the critics. just makes me hang on to all my bikes more. As hard as they are to be found now in Days.
Mitch

Had a Jag on the show recently that was nice we valued it cheap around 200.00 Im in this business as well We will NEVER give super high values we will always give the real value...

Back