When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Hawthorne Twinbar Zep

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bairdco

I live for the CABE
Finally getting around to restoring/rebuilding my Zep.

Posted it up here a few times, and thanks to you guys, pretty much confirmed it's CWC-built, making it the third one known to exist (please prove me right or wrong, I can't find any others besides a rusty one and the blue one on Dave's site.

Serial number: E08804 with a 9C

20150921_083459.jpg

I hate red bikes, so I was happy to find original blue paint in the bottom bracket:

20160429_101925.jpg

Got this bike from a friend, who's dad found it in an abandoned warehouse in Santa Ana, CA. Rusty and missing parts.

20150921_082826.jpg

Front fender has holes for a light, so it might be the "standard twinbar model," but it has the horseshoe truss rod bracket for the twin lights. Fenders fit right, so probably original.

20150921_083618.jpg

Wheels were Lobdell drop centers with a Musselman coaster and a finned eclipse up front, but my buddy relaced the wheels with some different, modern wheels.

I had some rusty, bent, crappy drop centers so I straightened them, sandblasted and painted them blue with black pinstripes, and relaced them, using the Musselman coaster and a new departure up front.

20160503_064232.jpg

20160503_064308.jpg

Down the road I may swap them out with a chrome pair with the correct ND coaster, but for now, I'm going with what I have.

Fenders are going to get the same treatment, white tips with black pinstripe.

I hate the chevron arrow on the forks like the restored one on Dave's site, so I'm gonna do a different Hawthorne dart for mine.

That's where I'm at so far. Rusty parts are going to the chromer's, and I'll be pinstriping and detailing while I wait.

Need a chainguard, rack, tank (wish me luck on that,) lights, seat, pedals... but it's a start...

Awesome bike! Thanks for posting it.

Are your bars original? Mine has the flatter, streamlined torringtons like in the ad.

Last edited:
Back