When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940's Schwinn New World Info??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Exactly. This is a really, really well-preserved bike. The presence of preserve pin stripes on these separates the good bikes, from the extraordinarily well-preserved ones. It looks like there's still a lot of original paint and pin striping on this.

The chain guard might not be original, but is probably period correct. That chain guard is a generic type sold in the early 1940s that often turns up on road bikes. I have a 1940 Westfield roadster with that exact guard in black. Leave it on (you'll pay a lot for an original in as good a condition as your bike).

The saddle is correct and is quite valuable. If you do want to ride it a lot, then I would use a substitute saddle and preserve that original one. If you're just riding it casually, you can leave it on.

What is that on the top of the rear fender: a tail light or tail reflector? Looks interesting.

Ive seen these with this style guard on Schwinns painted to match more times than is dismissable as OG. Although its more common for Columbias and Westfields, I believe the guard is correct for this bike as well.

24b2c265831438f53d828b31bcf0f68a.jpg
0ecf734110ef225a1d692ee0a43763a7.jpg

Last edited:
Ive seen these with this style guard on Schwinns painted to match more times than is dismissable as OG. Although its more common for Colombias and Westfields, I believe the guard is correct for this bike as well.

24b2c265831438f53d828b31bcf0f68a.jpg
0ecf734110ef225a1d692ee0a43763a7.jpg

It could well be. People could buy almost any type of equipment on these bikes.

I spent the late morning and afternoon dis-assembling, cleaning, lubing, adjusting, and re-assembling. The handle bar looks like it was painted. Did the bar come chromed or was the paint a possible a war time feature

DSC02606.JPG

DSC02608.JPG

DSC02610.JPG

DSC02620.JPG

DSC02619.JPG

DSC02605.JPG

Bike shops and hardware stores used to sell "Aluminum Enamel" or "Aluminum Paint" and folks often used it to "spruce up" tired plating. Looks to me like that's what's on your bars, I think I spot some on the forward end of the grip.

Bike shops and hardware stores used to sell "Aluminum Enamel" or "Aluminum Paint" and folks often used it to "spruce up" tired plating. Looks to me like that's what's on your bars, I think I spot some on the forward end of the grip.

Painted war era bars are generally black (not always, but often) or olive drab green (military/gov't/etc bikes).

If I had that New World as a project, I'd probably strip some of the paint to see if there's original chrome underneath that's just worn. If there's plating under the paint, even if imperfect, I'd go with the original, worn plating instead of the paint. I'd probably put black wall tires on it.

Those single speed freewheel hubs are really smooth and a lot of fun, if you live in a flat area.
IMG_3096.jpg
IMG_2977.jpg

My work on this bike is just about finished. I still need to clean and repack the headset, possibly polish the bars, and install the kick stand

My work on this bike is just about finished. I still need to clean and repack the headset, possibly polish the bars, and install the kick stand
You did a great job, all these oldies need is a good mechanical once over and a bath and they are ready to go. Im thoroughly jealous you got to tinker on it. Very cool bike!

The rims are Lobdell and the hubs are stamped Schwinn. the rims could use a cleaning and/or polishing but i dont want them too perfect as it will clash with the rest of the patina. any suggestions?

Back