When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Mercury Just picked Looking for info

-
I thought I saw a picture of a hub or sprocket saying "World's Fair" on it on one of these bikes? I'll search through my stuff.

I agree, fakes should be stated in any form. but wasn't it displayed at the worlds fair as the most beautiful bicycle. and because of this it would be relativley easy to associate it with this bicycle as the the worlds fair bicycle.

I’ve attached an excerpt from Mr. Leon Dixon's 1987 newsletter, Classic Bicycle & Whizzer News. I doubt you’ll find any printed information that precedes this article or acknowledges the Mercury Pacemaker as a “World’s Fair” bicycle! Yes the Mercury Pacemaker was the ‘official bicycle’ of the 1939 New York Worlds Fair, but there was never anything printed or branded as the World's Fair! If there is something out there that disputes Mr Dixon acclaim, share it with us, it’ll certainly squelch Mr. Dixon’s bravado and his credibility! But if not then you gotta give him his props and allow him to owned the only World Fair…everything else is a Mercury Pacemaker! I will now shut my mouth on this matter before I alienate my fellow bicycle brethrens ☺

Dixon's.jpg

Picture 17.jpg

Picture 19.jpg

ah yes, the twist of words. see it at the worlds fair.... doesn't that mean in implication that the bike is the worlds fair bike weather displayed or not. i thought about it. and what about the camero pace car? most were sold by chev but represents the indy 500 but never been there. still is the indy pace car.

Last edited:
Great example redline about the indy car. True provenance is documented evidence going back to the origin. Not because "we" have yet to see another exactly like it. I know a lot of bikes that "I" haven't seen another exactly like it, doesn't mean it's of any importance unless you can link it all the way back to the source and prove its story. In fact every bike I own I have yet to see one exactly like them... wow cool. (sarcastic font added)

I got a story for ya... that's one cool bike ya got there. So npence you're post says you are looking for information... now I fear you have too much information.:) Keep pics coming when you get her painted. It's a great canvas.

Once I get the paint scheme down and the right colors I will be sure to post some pics also have a 41 firestone supercruiser Im restoring will post some pics of that as well. Thanks keep the info coming

Did anyone notice the multipal holes in the front fender, one even by the shroud, mine and a few others have the same holes that line up with a rollfast (train?) style fender, there a couple of threads here about that, not sure what badged bikes came with that lite, or if a liteless tank has a bigger fender lite?
191912-1.jpg
121235-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back