When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Wards Hawthorne All-American

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Uncle Helmer

'Lil Knee Scuffer
After spending time in an introductory forum, I was directed to this forum for more specific help and information. The bike will probably sit until spring but I may get started early if I get anxious. I'll get back with more specific questions but can someone help me get started with an overview (based on experience and trial/error) of how to go about this. What to do first, what NOT to do first, etc.

• So far, it's been suggested I just clean it up with soap/water. The decades of dust and grime will come off but I don't want to damage the paint of course.
  • New tires after a thorough cleaning of rims, etc. New chain. Perhaps the cable, although it is working.
  • But most important to me, how about the electrics? I don't suppose a standard electrician knows much about classic bikes. Perhaps the local bike shops can steer me to someone? The rear side-lights are pretty cool.
Like I said, my plan could go out the window based on input but that's why I ask. Totally new to this idea although I've rode some dandy's in my life. Thanks for the input (I think.)
hawthorne1.jpg
hawthorne2.jpg
hawthorne3.jpg
hawthorne4.jpg
hawthorne5.jpg

I just remembered I had a dream last night that I found an All -American. It was no where as nice as this one tho:(

Last edited:
A very nice start, that bike as a lot going for it. If nothing else, you might want to give it a superficial cleaning & use a penetrant such as WD 40 on all the bolts & screws that will have to be loosened when you do get around to moving on it. Will also keep the oxidation in check. Good luck with it.

Very nice and welcome to the madness.
Love the tank and the shifter!

Cleaning depends on how far you want to go.
I sometimes go crazy with my revivals. Many like to leave them be...patina is very appealing, even to me on some of my bikes.

As Mike said WD40 is a good product to use but, to take the bolt loosening use a little further, I use WD40 and 0000 steelwool to clean the bike. It won't scratch the paint if done right. But, be careful around the decals and pinstripes.
WD40 breaks down the surface rust and usually the decades of dirt patina.
The product is great on chrome too.
Just be sure to use 0000 grade wool.

As for the battery powered electronics, I'm not the best at this. In most cases the battery trays are damaged beyond repair.
They are just flashlight battery powered options, in most cases.
Cleaning contacts and new batteries might be all you need to do. New bulbs too. Switches get corroded too. WD40 sometimes helps with the corrosion.

Looking forward to the after pictures!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you for the offer! :cool:Its supposed to be the top I believe..I have a new lens in mine without the coloring,Im unsure how many acually had the tinted lenses?
P1180094_zps2psqpsvo.jpg

GREAT bike! I suggest packing it up and shipping it to me to take care of it for awhile:) But seriously.... what I would do is a mechanical restoration, just going through the hubs and bearings and cleaning them up, will make the biggest difference in ride quality. I would completely take apart the bike and start with a mild soap and water bath, followed by Maguires ultimate compound and a terry cloth. I would take 0000 steel wool and wd40 to the chrome parts. Finish with a high grade car wax and then display that bad boy where everyone can see.

Back