When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 BSA Military Mk.V Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wing Your Heel

Wore out three sets of tires already!
bsa_mark_v_03-1.jpg

This BSA Mk.V has its year of manufacture (1942) stamped into the top of the handlebars. I wish all bikes were that easy to date :)

bsa_mark_v_1-1.jpg

Frame number 'BSA59' suggests a batch of BSA's supplied to the Irish Army (N. Ireland, that is; the Republic of Ireland did not fight with the Allies in WW2).

bsa_mkv_falklands-1.jpg

It also retains original rifle mounts.

1942_mkv_04-1.jpg

bsa_rifle_clip_rear1-1.jpg

The rifle is a 1916 .303 Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE) No.1 Mk.III.

1916_lee_enfield_5-1.jpg

Designed by American James Lee and built at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield, the SMLE was first produced in 1903. With a ten-bullet magazine and high rate of fire, it had an enviable reputation. At Mons, advancing Germans believed that they were under fire from British machine guns. But it was the well drilled infantry of the BEF using their standard issue Lee Enfields. A good infantryman would expect to shoot off about twelve well-aimed bullets in a minute.

1914_bsa_rifle_catalogue_3-1.jpg

bsa_mkv-1.jpg

1939_air_raid1-1.jpg

This summary of the bike is from the BSA & Military Bicycle Museum website. If you want to see more, you can visit this page:

http://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/1942-bsa-military-mk-v-roadster/

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE BSA Mk.V BIKES PLEASE ADD YOUR PICTURES TO THIS THREAD
(There are separate threads for different makes and models of military bicycle)

hello mr wing.
let me just say that you are nearly entirely responsible for my bicycle obsession...
you, and the bsa eadie coaster hub....
i got one a few years ago, and have since found all i can find online about said hubs, and have owned 6 of them.
i recently sent a black eadie hub to a friend in greece (i live in australia), for his mkv bsa restoration project. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=b...tbnw=146&start=49&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:49

is all the info you have on these marvellous hubs on the bsa museum site?
if you have more info, i would like to get hold of it, as i am intending to put all my info into a resourse for budding bsa enthusiasts...
i am also a blacksmith by trade, and a sheet metal worker by hobby, and a military re enactor at heart, and would love to reproduce, (with your permission) from your photos, the rifle mounts on your mkv.
have you got other photos? or could you post more? any details and dimensions would be greatly appreciated....
from woody, in cairns australia.

Last edited:
Fantastic bike!

What I find very interesting is that it's fitted with a Williams chainring instead of the BSA one. I'm sure you know that Williams suppied parts for a lot of manufacturers, and I'm guessing that during the war years they must have supplied some to BSA too... I had a 1940 a little while ago, civilian, not military, that was fitted with a BSA chainring.

rifle mounts

Hi Woody,

Good to see you on the forum. I'm really inundated with work at the moment. But when i get a spare moment i'll put up photos and measurements of original and repro rifle mounts so you can make some.

I've got various early Eadie hubs, several on bikes and one on my shelf. Again, I'll do some pics for you when i get time

Speak soon

Colin

Hello (again) Danny

Yes, I would have assumed that all BSA's had BSA chainwheels too. But we only work from catalogue information these days, rather than reality. It limits our perspective until we see a bike we can positively identify.

Say hello to Boscombe for me (I lived there many years ago)

It probably hasn't changed much :) Probably more drunks though... where did you pick this up from? BSA are of course most famous during the wartime years for their paratrooper, but I had a 1940 which was interesting as it had no chrome, just everything painted black. I've got a Norman which is the same!

hello mr wing.
let me just say that you are nearly entirely responsible for my bicycle obsession...
you, and the bsa eadie coaster hub....
i got one a few years ago, and have since found all i can find online about said hubs, and have owned 6 of them.
i recently sent a black eadie hub to a friend in greece (i live in australia), for his mkv bsa restoration project. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=b...tbnw=146&start=49&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:49

is all the info you have on these marvellous hubs on the bsa museum site?
if you have more info, i would like to get hold of it, as i am intending to put all my info into a resourse for budding bsa enthusiasts...
i am also a blacksmith by trade, and a sheet metal worker by hobby, and a military re enactor at heart, and would love to reproduce, (with your permission) from your photos, the rifle mounts on your mkv.
have you got other photos? or could you post more? any details and dimensions would be greatly appreciated....
from woody, in cairns australia.

hello sir,
danny are you still have the Eddie Coaster rear hub ? if you have it, i want to buy it, yesterday im found frame of BSA Mk.V but just the frame i want to complete it,
if you have are its still function ?

thanks a lot
best regards
hendrikus

BSA Mark V from Indonesia

Hai All,
I'm from Indonesia and my friend send me some picture about BSA Mk.V that founded
at Java Island, Indonesia, and my question is? is that a an original Mk.V?there's any data or information about BSA Mk.V that used by British Troop on Indonesia in WW2?some old bicycle expert from Indonesia said that there's no Mk.V at Indonesia because Mk. V operation only on Europe during WW2, thank's :)
IMG-20130820-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20130820-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20130820-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20130820-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20130820-WA0009.jpg

Back