When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~~1942 Victory Bicycle! Smithsonian Article~~~

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Very interesting article regarding WW2 Era bicycle specification & production from the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1313316

I cribbed this recently posted image of thericebunnycake's awesome '42 Dayton bike because it well illustrates the prevailing civilian production spec of the times.

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/tire-size-help.107131/

img_2449-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Was not aware that both Westfield and Huffman lightweight bicycles produced during the war were "Victory Bikes."
previously my opinion was that the Victory bikes were the ones with a factory "V" painted in the fender (as the late 1941 I have)...so what do I call this bike now?
Chris
victory.jpg

Thanks for the post Nate! This helps clarify the missing head badge question on many of these. I own 4 civilian wartime examples (three Huffmans and one Westfield) and dealing with the tires has been a nightmare.

Was not aware that both Westfield and Huffman lightweight bicycles produced during the war were "Victory Bikes."
previously my opinion was that the Victory bikes were the ones with a factory "V" painted in the fender (as the late 1941 I have)...so what do I call this bike now?
Chris
View attachment 439607

This is still a Victory Bike. They used up the parts on hand before changing over to the light weight bikes.

I cribbed this recently posted image of thericebunnycake's awesome '42 Dayton bike because it well illustrates the prevailing civilian production spec of the times.
It looks like this example has the original wooden turned grips. These rarely remain because the tend to crack with time and use.

Thanks for the post Nate! This helps clarify the missing head badge question on many of these. I own 4 civilian wartime examples (three Huffmans and one Westfield) and dealing with the tires has been a nightmare.
I specialize in War Era WW2 production bicycles. Both Huffman and Westfields stopped putting on headbadges on there bicycles sometime in 1943 or 1944. For tires you can use Kenda K23 S6 tires on the lightweight bicycles. The 26x1.375 rims are 599cm and the S6 Kendas are 597cm and ride like a dream.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I specialize in War Era WW2 production bicycles. Both Huffman and Westfields stopped putting on headbadges on there bicycles sometime in 1943 or 1944. For tires you can use Kenda K23 S6 tires on the lightweight bicycles. The 26x1.375 rims are 599cm and the S6 Kendas are 597cm and ride like a dream.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. .

Back