When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Hercules Royal Model C

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
This will be the last project to be completed this year. I picked up a matching set of 1946 Hercules bicycles locally. The men's model is done, and the ladies will be the first project of 2016. My shop is a cinder block shed from the 1950s with no heat or running water, so winter work is very difficult. I suspect the ladies model will take awhile.

This is a Hercules Royal sub brand bike. The head badge has a decal of a rampant lion with "Royal" at the top and "Made in England" underneath the lion. The parts are Hercules parts. It originally had a Perry coaster marked 8-46 but I swapped in a 3 speed Sturmey Coaster from the 1960s to give some extra gearing options. It has a single rod front brake. It appears to be a Model C Safety roadster with a coaster brake variation on it. The US market heavily favored coaster brakes in 1946, so I suspect this imported to appeal to an American rider. It really is a little version of the traditional roadster- slack frame, but 26 inch wheels and a 21 inch frame rather than anything larger.

http://www.bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2015/12/final-project-of-2015.html

IMG_4079JPG-1.jpg

IMG_4081JPG-1.jpg

IMG_4082JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard not to want to ride this particular bicycle. It has the laid back frame of a traditional rod brake roadster, but in the smaller package that is closer to a Raleigh Dawn or Raleigh Sports. It's a neat combination of features.

From this evening:

20160421_193226.jpg

20160421_193403.jpg

It is kind of nice seeing the older Hercules bikes getting some exposure lately. The poor quality and cheapening of the post Raleigh Hercules damaged the brands reputation. The side photos of your Hercules really demonstrates the slack frame angles that make these older models such pleasant bikes to ride.

Back