When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Cws English Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Gasbag

Finally riding a big boys bike
This thread will be used to document the preservation / restoration of my 1948 Cooperative Wholesale Society (CWS) Roadster. I intend to showcase the bike and provide some links and information about this relatively unknown marque. This is the first of two CWS bikes in my collection.

Backstory: I bought this bike two years ago in Holland Michigan. It was advertised as a Raleigh on Craigslist. After a 3 1/2 hour road trip, it was mine. A death in the family prevented me from starting on this project the year I purchased it. Last summer, shortly after beginning the tear down, I fell and badly damaged my rotator cuff. The CWS was loosely reassembled and boxed until my shoulder was repaired. Finally, after surgery and a long painful rehab, I am back to work on this old lad. I don't recall what I had done prior to my injury, so I will be starting from scratch.

About the bike: The date is from the Sturmey Archer FW 4 speed hub, 47-12. The bicycle was likely built in early 1948. Shifter is a rare SA long trigger four speed. The frame measures 23" ctc seatpost, 23" ctc toptube. Top tube slopes down slightly toward the steer tube in a prewar fashion. Handlebars and brakes are Phillips stirrup. The chainwheel appears to be a Williams, the crank arms are stamped Utility. The original saddle was a rare leather Dunlop - Bates, unfortunately it was in very poor condition. Fenders are unbranded chrome steel. The headbadge transfer is unlike any other CWS that I have seen, this being the only one like it that I have seen.

P1010157.JPG

CWS4.JPG

A few links:

From http://www.rochdalepioneersmuseum.coop/artefacts/bicycle-2/ : "The Co-operative Wholesale Society began manufacturing bicycles in 1908. In 1920 the first cycle factory was purchased in Tysely. The Co-operative Wholesale Society was well known for the manufacture of bikes and for many years produced all of the Post Office cycles."

About the Cooperative Wholesale Society : http://www.archive.coop/collections/coop-wholesale-society

CWS postal bike: http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1930s/...ciety-federal-post-office-inspectors-bicycle/

The plan of attack: I want to leave the patina largely intact as these old English bicycles wear that look well. The bike will be mildly cleaned, rust checked as needed. The headbadge will be preserved with a clear varnish. All the bearings will get a full service and lube. Tires have already been replaced with period correct NOS IRC roadster pattern and fresh inner tubes. As this bike will be ridden, the brake pads will be replaced, the holders preserved (not the same pads as Raleigh - difficult, though not impossible to source). I will need to make a shift cable, the early long triggers used a barrel end cable that is unavailable. If the shift cable proves insurmountable, I have an early SA 3-4 speed trigger available. I recall rebuilding the rear hub due to it being full of old crusty lube goo and the pawls were sticking. After it is in road ready condition, I will locate a period correct bell for the handlebar and use one of my early English seatbags for tire repair sundries.

A look at the hubs. Front is unbranded. Note the homemade (as found) hub wipers, cotton rope that has been wired at the ends. A simple solution from an earlier time. The wipers will stay. Both rims spun nearly true and all of the spokes show good tension.

P1010158.JPG

P1010160.JPG

If anybody has seen an Army-Navy Cooperative Society Ltd. (A&NCSL) bike, I would love to see the head markings.

A check of the front hub and the headset bearings revealed the unmistakable scent of Phil Woods bearing grease, so I just need to double check the adjustments.

While digging around on my workbench, I came across this old Lucas generator set that would be absolutely period correct for this bike. So, its off to the local farmers supply for some Evapo-Rust.

P1010161.JPG

I took the bottom bracket apart to inspect, and it looks like I was already in here. Just a simple reassemble and bearing adjustment. The Bikesmithdesign cotter press is almost a must have tool if you work on many cottered cranksets.

P1010162.JPG

P1010168.JPG

We had a CWS come through the bike shop where I work about a year ago. It was the first that I remember seeing.

CWS bikes were built for sale only through their own stores. Any that we find stateside are a personal possession that the owner brought with them from England.

Back