When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Raleigh Dawn Tourist

-
Sticking with the Wald for this one. The German ESGE stands from the 60s and 70s work well on the DL1 type bikes. I have one on my DL1.

Pletscher is that kickstand, and is marked ESGE

I believe they're Swiss.

The doubles are killer if you have a front-load hauler.
aP5280025.jpg

also really handy for changing a flatted rear

Last edited:
This project is nearly done. I do have the original pedals, which I need to clean up and re-mount. Right now I have some post-war German pedals on it (they're pretty good).

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2016/06/1948-raleigh-dawn-tourist.html

20160611_171023.jpg

The biggest surprise of the day were the Indonesian Raleigh grips. I was expecting very cheap, thin rubber grips like the Thai ones. I was very surprised at heavy-duty and well-made the Indonesian Raleigh grips are. I also got a set of rubber Doverite-style grips. Those too were very well-made.

20160611_171039.jpg

These pictures are from my cell phone, so hopefully I can get some better ones later.

20160611_171052.jpg

Looking good,I really like that one .I have a few with those grips,they really are good quality grip .I found a big box of them,ended up on all kinds of bikes.

Back