When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Schwinn D-12

-

rcommbikes

Look Ma, No Hands!
This bike was donated to our all-volunteer charity. For the past four years we have given over 2500 (yes, 2500) refurbished bikes each year to the needy in the Rochester, NY area. We sell items like this to help to pay our expenses, so I'd like opinions about the value.

I think this is a repainted 1950 Schwinn D-12. SN is G1649?3. The repaint is on the frame. Fenders look original and are very nice. Please let me know if you disagree with my identification. 24" tires. Seat is not original. Skip-tooth crank and rear hub. Metal looks sound. Some bad chips on left seat stay. See the photos, and thanks for your help.

Fred
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Lots of things hurt the value on this one, Fred. The size(24"), wrong seat,pedals, the repaint, (fenders seem to be factory replacements or have been painted also, look at the screws in place of rivets on the braces), the original plating is marginal. I just picked up a decent 26" original paint straight bar for less than 200. You might try raffling it off as a fundraiser. Hope that helps, good Luck with your sale!
IMG_1777_zps2nsqov1u.jpg

Last edited:
This bike was donated to our all-volunteer charity. For the past four years we have given over 2500 (yes, 2500) refurbished bikes each year to the needy in the Rochester, NY area. We sell items like this to help to pay our expenses, so I'd like opinions about the value.

I think this is a repainted 1950 Schwinn D-12. SN is G1649?3. The repaint is on the frame. Fenders look original and are very nice. Please let me know if you disagree with my identification. 24" tires. Seat is not original. Skip-tooth crank and rear hub. Metal looks sound. Some bad chips on left seat stay. See the photos, and thanks for your help.

Fred
View attachment 304293 View attachment 304294 View attachment 304295 View attachment 304296 View attachment 304297 View attachment 304298 View attachment 304299 View attachment 304300 View attachment 304301 View attachment 304302 View attachment 304303 View attachment 304304

New I thought those chain guards began for the 1952 model year???

Ballpark value $150 - $200, IMHO. There's potential there, with the S-2 wheelset and all. Not a real high-demand bike.
Cheers, Geoff

Lots of things hurt the value on this one, Fred. The size(24"), wrong seat,pedals, the repaint, (fenders seem to be factory replacements or have been painted also, look at the screws in place of rivets on the braces), the original plating is marginal. I just picked up a decent 26" original paint straight bar for less than 200. You might try raffling it off as a fundraiser. Hope that helps, good Luck with your sale!
IMG_1777_zps2nsqov1u.jpg
This is a D-12, the red bike in question is a DX or D-13, note the difference of the second bar on each one. The D-12 is a straight bar (the bar is perfectly straight) while a DX or D-13 bar is slightly curved. I'm not sure what year they started using the D-13 model #. Maybe someone can chime in with that info. Considering the repaint, and incorrect parts, I'd value that bike around $100 to $150.

In California might get $200 most of the rest of the country will bring around $100 in my opinion.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I just went with the D-12 based on an online catalog image that was a close as I could get. I have a regular buyer who likes the old not-so-collectable stuff. He'll love it.

Back