When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Schwinn - Asking for help with model identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Gary's picture shows your bike as it was when new. Great find in the trash, and you can't beat the price! You'll have fun cleaning it up, and a tank shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hope this isn't overkill. The crossbar has 2 tabs which may be for a tank? I'm pretty sure the chain cover, seat, and fenders are from different other models. Hand brake brand is "Weinmann" and caliper is "Dia Compe". The fork is dark red with some beautiful pinstriping and the chips/scuffs on parts of the frame show red(dish) paint.

I love looking at it and can't wait to ride it!
img_4518-jpg.jpg

]

Notably that is a 60's Schwinn but you do have 50's, approximately 1955-6 fork which is likely off of a Schwinn Corvette.
And might I recommend that you put a washer and nut on the brake caliper stay bolt before you wreck or bend it. . They're a Schwinn product so tough finding at local stores that's as good as Schwinn made em. . medium- fine thread, Forged steel, zinc plated. Today's rust bucket, china Schwinn's aint got that kind of quality.

Just go back to your neighbor and say: 'Hey pal, thanks for the bike but, you left out the dam nut and washer!, Hand em over or I'm putting it back in the trash! !' [wink]

Last edited:
That is not a 1953 model, it's a middleweight. Looks like you're missing a digit under your red circle? A4XXXXX would be a 1964 number so I would assume the model name on the chain guard is correct. Plus it has the hang tabs on the top bar for a slimline tank.

1964dlr_Fleet.jpg

I took a clearer picture this morning and the serial number still reads the same. Is it possible the frame is from 1953 and the rest of the parts are mix & match?

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG
Thank you gentlemen! Really appreciate everyone's help. So this would be an example of what my bike would look like with a tank? If yes, anyone have a lead?

Notably that is a 60's Schwinn but you do have 50's, approximately 1955-6 fork which is likely off of a Schwinn Corvette.
And might I recommend that you put a washer and nut on the brake caliper stay bolt before you wreck or bend it. . They're a Schwinn product so tough finding at local stores that's as good as Schwinn made em. . medium- fine thread, Forged steel, zinc plated. Today's rust bucket, china Schwinn's aint got that kind of quality.

Just go back to your neighbor and say: 'Hey pal, thanks for the bike but, you left out the dam nut and washer!, Hand em over or I'm putting it back in the trash! !' [wink]

Thanks Jeff54! I will buy that nut asap. Not sure which neighbor was insane enough to toss this beauty in the trash as my building has 237(!) units but I'll ask around and hopefully be able to thank him/her in person :)

Sorry to say there is no chance your frame is a 1953 issue. Schwinn had a habit if messing up the serial numbers. The left out the year letter on the January 1966 serial numbers too.
That red fork was used on the middleweights from 1955 thru 1960 and the brake is not original to your bike, but it's nice to have IMO.

How do I measure the height of my frame? Is it possible that this is a 24" frame?

Last edited:
Frame size is measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube. A 26" wheel cantilever frame will be 18.5" unless it's a king size frame.

Back